Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks to all that replied-

Guy, I have watched the units over the years and I would agree that Unit #1 is a very good area. I am still debating in my mind on holding out. I know this will be a once in a lifetime hunt, it just comes down to whether my body can continue to handle the Big Horns in my 60's, if I continue to wait another 5-6 years.

Hunting Mulies and Antelope at the base of the Big horns as well as in lower elevation when I was younger was fun, but as we age, the body will revolt if not able to handle the riggors of a mountain hunt. If I am to be successful, I will have to be able to handle any condition, and that will be the challenge.

Kiddwinner-thanks for the help and I will contact you as I get closer to having this hunt.

30hart-thanks for the info on 27.
    Last edited by DH56; 02-05-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dh
    This is a pretty good representation of what I saw in 38 oct 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kentuckyhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DH56 View Post
    Thanks to all that replied-

Guy, I have watched the units over the years and I would agree that Unit #1 is a very good area. I am still debating in my mind on holding out. I know this will be a once in a lifetime hunt, it just comes down to whether my body can continue to handle the Big Horns in my 60's, if I continue to wait another 5-6 years.

Hunting Mulies and Antelope at the base of the Big horns as well as in lower elevation when I was younger was fun, but as we age, the body will revolt if not able to handle the riggors of a mountain hunt. If I am to be successful, I will have to be able to handle any condition, and that will be the challenge.

Kiddwinner-thanks for the help and I will contact you as I get closer to having this hunt.

30hart-thanks for the info on 27.
    Hi DH56, I understand you want to make an informed decision on whether to hold out for Unit 1 or Unit 34. I'd like to help you. Unit 1 and 34 and no doubt excellent units, but the more important issue, is where you are positioned to actually draw one of those units in the preference point pool.

The following link will show the number of applicants ahead of you applying for Wyoming moose:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme..._130004710.pdf

Since you are at 11 points, there are 1776 non-resident applicants with more points than you. As you can see from the linked report, there is a MASSIVE bubble of applicants with 12, 13 and 14 points, with over 400 applicants in each of those point pools. That "bubble" has not even begun to be gnawed away at. Last year 63 non-resident tags were drawn in the preference point pool. At that rate (assuming no attrition) you are 27 years before you will be in the draw pool for the top units. Clearly that is not the case (since there is attrition) but realistically you are likely 15+ years from drawing one of the top units in the state barring a major change in the number of tags issued, or a change to the draw system. It will be a very long time before you will be in the max point draw pool for Unit 1 or 34 since those two units are among of the most desired tags in the state.

I believe if you want to draw in the next 10 years, you will need to be very strategic with your applications, and applying for some of the less popular units.

I just had this conversation today with one of my best friends who has 12 points for moose.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-10-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know my odds seem overwhelming, but over the years, I have had a tendency to go for broke. But- I was much younger and had time to re-group if it failed.

One of my dreams many years ago was to do a Shiras Moose hunt in the Wilderness of the Big Horns. A friend that I hunted with years ago had a cabin there where he did some elk hunting and it was about a days ride by horseback from Story to get to his cabin-just gorgeous. When I hunted in the area several times, Wyoming and the Big Horns just completely amazed me. Coming from Ohio, my 1st trip out West in the early 90's just completely changed my life. There was something about the West and the Wilderness that just took my love for the outdoors to another level and" made me" visit several more times over the years.

I always tell my friends that trapping when I was a youngster made me a better hunter, and hunting made me a better person. It prepared me for adulthood and taught me to respect all animals and life. I owe that to my myself and the respect I have for Wildlife to make the most of it. I really want to accomplish my goal, but my struggles start with the time left to accomplish that.

I think am going to continue to apply for points this year and try to make a solid decision on my direction over the year on what to do going forward. I appreciate your input that all of you provided and will always listen to any additional input as well.

Good Hunting-