Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Elk areas 7 and 45 guides

Hello Everyone,
    I am looking for outfitter recommendations for a guided, rifle Elk hunt in areas 7 or 45 of Wyoming. I have 5 points and have applied for a special Elk license with a preference point. Hopefully that will be enough to draw this year. I do have a couple of guides in mind but would like options.This will most likely be a one time deal for me so I would like a chance at a 330+ bull.(I know, so would everybody else). Cabin, tent or hotel unimportant. 4X4, horseback also unimportant. Just looking for the best chance at a good bull.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Tony

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Deer Forks Ranch for 7. Paintrock Adventures for 45.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkoholic307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What unit did you apply for?

Can't be both.

It looks like you are not goint to get a tag for sure in either of those units. I have 8 pp and will apply for either 45 or 61 so any thoughts on those. I have looked at Paintrock outfitters as a possible outfitter in unit 45.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to minn elk chaser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unit 45- Big Horn Outfitters, formerly A Double J Outfitters...went on a archery elk hunt with those guys last fall in 45, had a good time and saw plenty of good bulls.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Any of the outfitters mentioned so far are good reputable people. However, you're not going to draw either of those units as a first choice even in the Special Draw with the 5PPs you have. The PP you're buying will not be good to give you 6 in the draw until 2015. Unless you luck out like a Powerball winner and happen to draw a random tag, I'd suggest if you're set on hunting this year that you find a unit that you can draw in the special draw this year and change your choice to that unit or withdraw completely. You can modify or withdraw, but if you already put in for the special you'll have to stay with that or withdraw completely and start over. Doing that you'll have to wait until after the draw for a money refund for what it sounds like you have already put on your credit card. If I had the PPs to draw, it would be 45 for my first choice of the two listed mainly because I know a lot about that unit.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 01-19-2014 at 04:40 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I applied for area 7 as my first choice, area 45 for my second... I am no expert, but area 7 seems as though it will require more points than I have, but one of the outfitters I researched said you can draw in area 45 with 5 points. I also spoke with a Huntin Fool consultant that reinforced those views. You won't draw if you don't apply right. If not, try again till it pans out.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    Unit 45- Big Horn Outfitters, formerly A Double J Outfitters...went on a archery elk hunt with those guys last fall in 45, had a good time and saw plenty of good bulls.
    I hunted with A double J for a elk rifle hunt in 2010. Myself and my partner both came home with bulls. Rich was our guide and it appears he bought out Rusty. I know he will do all he can to get you on a good bull.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to buckbull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    You would have a chance of drawing 45 but 7 you could only draw in the random draw according to last years draw stats. You will have no chance of drawing 45 2nd choice. There have to be tags leftover after all first choices are drawn to have a chance at drawing 2nd choice but if you do find a unit you can draw 2nd choice and draw it you will get the 2nd choice tag and gain another point.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=buckbull;71274]I hunted with A double J for a elk rifle hunt in 2010. Myself and my partner both came home with bulls. Rich was our guide and it appears he bought out Rusty. I know he will do all he can to get you on a good bull.[/QUOTE

Buckbull you are right, Rich and Dustin bought out Rusty, I'd feel confident with them. Rich guided me also, we had a good time and put on some miles in the backcountry. Fun hunt. I drew this year with 5 points on a special tag but it was type 9. I don't think you will draw a type 1 with 5 points this year...unless you are really lucky. The guy in camp behind us drew with 0 points, so it does happen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Eastman's MRS moved 45 to a blue chip unit this year so I would expect an increase in # of pp to draw. I drew with 6 last year but wasn't expecting it. My neighbor has drawn in 2 of 3 years in random draw. Told him he should have bought a lottery ticket. 3% chance in random.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NE69 For This Useful Post: