Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Cabelas Euro...find them in the bargain cave if you don't mind used or display model...I bought a pair for $450 after dickering on price and they looked like new. I think they're great!

Thanks
    Minox
    My .02

Thanks
    Do yourself a favor and buy the best binoculars you can. If starting out today, I would forsake a lot of other hunting gear until I bought the best binoculars possible. Consider that top end glass can result in far more game spotted, maybe even multiples (two to three times the game). Something we don't often take into account, but it doesn't take too many tanks of gas going into the field (unproductive trips) to pay for better binoculars.

First I would look for 10X42 Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leicas (new or used, eBay is a good source for used). I can attest to the Swarovski warranty being unbeatable, but no I have experience with the other two. Own one, own it for life.

Second I would look at the top end Vortex, the warranty is amazing, which will greatly help resale if you decide later to take the jump to the top three.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-22-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Another option would be the Brunton Epoch. You can find these used on E-bay routinely for $400-$800. No questions asked lifetime warranty and excellent quality optics.

Thanks
    I feel the Monarch 7 is the best for the money even better than more expensive options. Nikon does instant savings promotions and I have seen the Monarch 7's at $100 off. I can't remember exactly when they do this promotion but if you don't need them right now there is a chance the sale would happen in the summer.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Thank you all very much for the input. I am looking at getting a set some time in early summer but wanted a lot of input to help me research and look for sales until then. I guess the Monarchs and vortex will be the main ones I am looking at now.

I just read an article in Field and Stream about how great the monarch 3 binos are. Are the monarch 5 and 7 that much better to warrant the extra couple of hundred dollars?

Thanks
    Monarch 7 is a lot better than the 3, the brightness is very easy to see. All of the posts about spending the extra money for better optics are good advise; however, if you are not glassing as much as the guys making the posts the added value of having the more expensive glass might not be of value to you. There are a lot of people that hunt their entire life with binoculars comparable to the Monarch 3's so it is more of a question to ask yourself about how much you will be using the binoculars and what you will be able to gain (hunting success) by spending more.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    Minox
    My .02
    Which Minox? I've seen the BL line on sale a lot lately and was wondering how they compared to other binos in the same price range.

Thanks
    +1 for the vortex vipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    Monarch 7 is a lot better than the 3, the brightness is very easy to see. All of the posts about spending the extra money for better optics are good advise; however, if you are not glassing as much as the guys making the posts the added value of having the more expensive glass might not be of value to you. There are a lot of people that hunt their entire life with binoculars comparable to the Monarch 3's so it is more of a question to ask yourself about how much you will be using the binoculars and what you will be able to gain (hunting success) by spending more.
    Truthfully, i am not really sure. I only just started hunting seriously and was not very successful. I am looking to change that and I know the binos i have now are not helping me be successful.