Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Bobcat and Fox caliber and bullet for least pelt damage

Hey guys just wondering what works for you. I'm looking to find a bullet that works for bobcats and Fox, but does not tear them up bad. I'm trying to save the pelts for mounting purposes. The bobcats we have shot with ballistic tip and V-max bullets have put some good size holes in them. The cats were shot at close range (within 100 yards with 223 rifles). Since then I have been taking a shotgun loaded with 3 inch BB for backup....But still looking for a good rifle bullet in case we see a huge cat a long ways away that hangs up and we have to take a long shot. Planning to use my .223, or .222 caliber rifles. We have seen several grey Fox too but just have been to slow at the gun... Man them lil guys are fast and smart!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've done some reserach on the subject myself as I'm not happy with the v-max damage. Obviously bullet placement makes a difference but I just picked up some "white box" Winchester 45g hollow points. Read reports that they aren't too bad on pelts. Time will tell.. Aside from that, if in range, shotgun is my go to.

I'll let u know when I've connected with them. Need to put some range time in first.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Forest Trail, that's funny I just acquired some of the same ammo for my 22-250. I also heard the same thing regarding the bullets being fur friendly. I'll let you know how they do if I get lucky, my weekend starts tomorrow .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know you want to use your 223 but something like the 22 mag or 17 hmr would probably be good choices for not doing alot of damage on smaller varmets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    17 Remington hands down

6. The Following User Says Thank You to quicknick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    whats the max effective range for 17.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its how far you can hit the target! LOL. The 17 rem is a pretty flat shooter and I would guess it would be pretty accurate to 300+ yards. 22 mag and 17 hmr I would say around 150 yards before they start dropping pretty good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had good luck with Hornady 25gr HPs out of my .17 Rem on gray fox and bobcat. I slowed them way down (which was still around 3,400 fps). Usually didn't get an exit on coyotes, some got through bobcats, most got through fox. Foxes and cats were usually shot closer in than the coyotes, but in all cases I can recall the exits were nickle size in diameter. Biggest thing is to keep whatever you use off major bones if you can. I hit one coyote in the scapula at 20-some yards with a 4,000fps+ factory load and what a mess... that pelt got a laugh and a toss in the trash at the fur buyer. I don't think I ever got docked after I loaded down and started trying for frontal shots or at least pulled them back into the ribs on broadsides. In your case I'd take that .223 and load some 40gr hollow points to a modest speed and give that a try. I bet it will still be rough on a fox but should be an improvement. If you're into buying a gun I'd give serious consideration to a 17 centerfire and reloading. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruinPoint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bet the new .17 wsm would be good too. I want to get one but the guy at Cabelas told me the gun they come in now isnt very good and I havent been able to find one anywhere so Im waiting to see what other guns it comes out in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I bet the new .17 wsm would be good too. I want to get one but the guy at Cabelas told me the gun they come in now isnt very good and I havent been able to find one anywhere so Im waiting to see what other guns it comes out in.
    My buddy bought one of these and he said it was a very cheaply made rifle, lots of plastic parts. I'll check with him in a week or so and ask him how he likes it. Who knows it might be what the Dr. ordered.

I shot a coyote this morning with my 22-250 and 45 gr hollow points at about 184 yards. I hit that dog in the upper shoulder......what a mess! I gotta stay away from them bones!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coyote #3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	7617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coyote blown up.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	7618
    Last edited by bigshot; 01-23-2014 at 02:20 PM.