Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oregon Spring Bear Down

Went out this last weekend for some bear hunting action here in Oregon. It was my buddies first ever bear hunt, and we ended up taking a pretty nice one. i am estimating his live weight between 250 and 275, and he has an absolutely beautiful coat on him. Pictures and the entire story as to how the whole trip played out is up on my blog at the link below. Had a great time, and couldn't have asked for a better result in getting a great friend a great bear.
    Kevin

http://kevinunderwoodbowhunting.blog...irst-bear.html

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great looking bear and a great story to go with it. Congrats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice bear!!! Can't wait to try for one myself this coming fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice Bear. Getting ready to go in a week.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    It's not very often somebody posts a blatant account of poaching on the internet. In case you didn't know arrowslinger, here in Oregon it is illegal to shoot a big game animal if you don't have a tag which clearly you didn't based on your blog. I really doubt that the Eastmans developed this forum for you to boast about poaching.

It's really a bummer as that would have been a nice bear to hunt legally.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hulburt View Post
    It's not very often somebody posts a blatant account of poaching on the internet. In case you didn't know arrowslinger, here in Oregon it is illegal to shoot a big game animal if you don't have a tag which clearly you didn't based on your blog. I really doubt that the Eastmans developed this forum for you to boast about poaching.

It's really a bummer as that would have been a nice bear to hunt legally.
    This bear was taken with a tag and was hunted legally and with fair chase. I know this went all around the internet last night, and most of the posts got taken down by the other forums, but it really would be nice if people would ask a question or two before making assumptions and claims when no one making the claims was there. I am posting the picture of the tag on my blog as well, which was punched on site. We worked our @$$ off for this bear, and I would have not posted the story to incriminate myself. If we wanted to poach a bear we would shot the first one we saw that had two cubs and that was 5 miles closer to the truck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post
    This bear was taken with a tag and was hunted legally and with fair chase. I know this went all around the internet last night, and most of the posts got taken down by the other forums, but it really would be nice if people would ask a question or two before making assumptions and claims when no one making the claims was there. I am posting the picture of the tag on my blog as well, which was punched on site. We worked our @$$ off for this bear, and I would have not posted the story to incriminate myself. If we wanted to poach a bear we would shot the first one we saw that had two cubs and that was 5 miles closer to the truck.
    There was ONE tag and three shooters. That is poaching. But hey, I'm glad you didn't shoot the one with cubs.

EDIT - I see you edited out the part where you and your buddy (also without a tag) both shot and hit the bear in additon to the guy with the tag. Now it was a one shot kill. Wow! Nice job....
    Last edited by Joe Hulburt; 05-10-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hulburt View Post
    There was ONE tag and three shooters. That is poaching. But hey, I'm glad you didn't shoot the one with cubs.

EDIT - I see you edited out the part where you and your buddy (also without a tag) both shot and hit the bear in additon to the guy with the tag. Now it was a one shot kill. Wow! Nice job....
    I never wrote it was a one shot kill. I simply deleted the other part out for the time being last night on my break at work to avoid some of the drama. What would you have done with a bear running at you and the only guy with a tag being out of shells? as in completely out and no more on his person. I wasn't going to take a chance especially with the bear being inside of 80 yards. The bear was fatally hit, and he was becoming a threat to our safety. I would assume that most guys would also shoot a charging bear, and I would like to be able to say that I didnt have to, but the truth of the matter is that I determined in a split second decision that I needed to act, and so I did. I never wanted to shoot the bear, as it was not my kill, and I wanted my buddy to have the full experience of knowing he took his first bear completely on his own. I have already talked the whole situation over with OSP, as I had already notified them on my own, and let them know what happened so I would appreciate it if people would at least ask me about the situation before they accuse me of being a poacher. I have never tried to poach an animal, and I never plan on doing so. I took the action necessary to be safe given the circumstances, and the outcome is what I wrote about. If this is still your definition of a poacher then so be it, but then that is going to include a lot more people then just me who had to act in a very fast situation. I have been mock charged by two different bears before on seperate accounts, and I never shot them, but this situation was different, and I did what I deemed necessary and I have no regrets for doing so. People calling the bear a hoax, and shame that he was killed is far from the truth though. We worked extremely hard out of a bivouacing setup to just get to the bear, and spent two days to get within shooting range as we tried to follow him. My buddy put in more than enough work to deserve the bear, and to say anything else just isn't right. He legally had a tag, and legally shot the bear. I told him before he shot that I was not going to shoot after him, or follow up his shot, and I only ended up doing so when he was out of bullets, and the situation required it. You would think some fellow hunters would realize this type of situation, and not be so eager to jump all over some hard hunting DIY guys trying to do things the right way. Then again, I guess some guys just want to see others have less success than themselves.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congrats, nice bear with a beautiful coat! You guys earned that one!

Best of Luck,
    Jeff