Thanks

Wyoming antelope unit 38/39 new change for 2014?

I just checked the 2014 Wyoming antelope unit map, and it looks like they have combined units 38 and 39 together into unit 38. However, what is strange is that the description for both type 1 and type 6 tags says:
    38 1* Oct. 5 -- Limited quota licenses; any antelope off national forest
    38 6* Oct. 5 -- Limited quota licenses; doe or fawn off national forest

Does anyone know what that means?? I am not aware of any national grasslands in that area, and the only national forest is in the mountains near Larimie, certainly not where antelope hang out and is only maybe 5% of the entire unit. There is a chunk of BLM land west of Wheatland where I have hunted before, but BLM is under Dept of Interior whereas National Forest is in Dept of Agriculture/Forest Service. Is this a typo? What about hunting on private land? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion/CO View Post
    I just checked the 2014 Wyoming antelope unit map, and it looks like they have combined units 38 and 39 together into unit 38. However, what is strange is that the description for both type 1 and type 6 tags says:

Does anyone know what that means?? I am not aware of any national grasslands in that area, and the only national forest is in the mountains near Larimie, certainly not where antelope hang out and is only maybe 5% of the entire unit. There is a chunk of BLM land west of Wheatland where I have hunted before, but BLM is under Dept of Interior whereas National Forest is in Dept of Agriculture/Forest Service. Is this a typo? What about hunting on private land? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Orion….I believe what it means is that the tags are valid for all land in the unit that is NOT national forest or "off national forest". From your description it sounds like you can hunt most of the unit that is the most productive antelope habitat.

This same type of description used for deer unit 105 (Region F). There is a season for "on national forest" and a different season for "off national forest".

Off national forest means all land not on national forest.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-21-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Exactly what it says! No antelope can be shot on NF lands. One is a buck tag for anywhere other than on NF and the other is a doe tag for anyhwere other than on NF.

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I actually found my copy of last years regulations today and lo and behold it is in the definitions. The national forest thing was not stipulated in previous descriptions of unit 38 which is what made it confusing, and I have never seen that restriction before. I still think it's very strange to exclude national forest (public land) from a hunting zone that includes other public land, and why that requirment needs to be specified for this unit, especially in regards to antelope hunting. I guess it is what it is, if it makes sense or not. Thanks againg for the responses.

Thanks
    I have seen that restriction for elk before but I had not seen it for antelope.

Thanks

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Orion/CO View Post

I see what your saying. In areas 38,39 there is no national forest. So it would not say anything about nat forest, Thats where the confusion is. Whats happened is areas 38,39,40,&104 were all combined into one area. Area 38. Area 104 is pole mountain,( medicine bow national forest). So now area 38 does have nat Forest in it, so it has to include "on/off" nat. Forest. I dont mind opening up to a larger area i just wish the G&F would keep us more informed so were not surprised when we go to apply. I hear they combined elk areas 5&6 also. Those are the exact same geographical areas that we are discussing for antilope.