Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beaver, utah

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Maybe he has a governors tag?
    That's possible.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sportsman's tag?
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I wish I had that tag! I could have killed a big 7x7 in san juan with my muzzleloader a few years ago deer hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just dont thing tracker has our sense of homor

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just givin the new guy a hard time. If you stick around you'll see the trend of guys who jump on the forum and ask for the gps coords to honey holes with mossback quality elk and randy ulmer acceptable mulies.

Unfortunately I lack information on the unit you inquire about but if your a subscriber to the eastmans mag the mrs section is a big help of finding stats on certain area animal trophy quality.

On another note, whats your name? Where do ya come from? Whats your weapon preference? Favorite animal to hunt? Advice on any units your willing to share?

Welcome to the forum! and dont take us the wrong way. Were here daily, and here to help! Alot of good dudes with alot of knowledge!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker77 View Post
    Why am I not surprised to see grown men act like children. Keep pounding away at that ol' keyboard it'll be the highlight of your day! And keep the fire extinguisher close all that smoke is bound to catch fire.
    This is why I dont think he has our sense of humor. I was just giving the new guy a bad time on his first post too but I think it has been taken badly.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to the forum. Don't pay any mind to these guys, they were just giving you a hard time because you really knocked it out of the park with your first post! No introduction just straight to record breaking elk info. Don't take it personal man. I don't know much about any particular unit but Utah is THE STATE for big bulls. Here's what I found from another site.

This is an excerpt from huntaddicts.com

Utah Elk

Utah has some of the best Rocky Mountain Elk hunting in the world. Many of Utah’s elk units can produce giant bulls year in and year out. Every few years a unit will have a stand out year, predicting this can be difficult. Although “quality” is reportedly down from 2005-2007 levels, Utah is still a premier hunting destination for BIG bulls. Nearly every unit in the state has potential for a bull over 350. While they are few and far between in many units, it’s not uncommon for bulls over 380 to be found in many units.

The Cooperative Management Wildlife Unit (CMWU) program is also something to look into. Many of these CMWU’s produce tremendous trophies every year. The hunting experience on a CMWU depends a lot on the operator. It’s best to contact hunters who have hunted a particular CMWU as well as contacting the operator before applying for these units.
    1.San Juan: This unit is right near the top of the elk hunting world. Combine the animal quality with early rifle hunts that fall right in the heat of the rut and you have an awesome hunt. Huge bulls on this unit, 400+ killed every year. Avoid the late rifle hunt (November) as many of the bulls move to private land.
    2.Fillmore, Pahvant: This unit has been on the ups for several years. While some say it has already peaked, this unit is one of the best in the state.
    3.Monroe: This is a huge unit for Utah. Don’t expect to find bulls throughout the whole unit. Spend some time scouting and you’ll find a big bull. I would say this is one of the best hunts for older folks, or those who can’t get too far from the truck – but there’s plenty of places to get off the “beaten path” as well. Rut hunts are far easier in this unit than those outside the rut.
    4.Plateau, Beaver: The beaver unit has the make-up for the hunt of a lifetime. Some really big bulls are taken every year here as well.
    5.Boulder: The Boulder is a very cool mountain range with decent access – this unit covers a lot of area and there are great bulls to be found. A 350 class bull is very possible on this unit.
    6.Other units of Interest: Utah has fantastic elk hunting, while it may not be producing as many 400″ bulls as 8-10 years ago, any unit in the state provides opportunity for a big one. (Especially the units in the southern half of the state) Other good units include the Dutton, Beaver, and Panguitch. Recent age objective management changes is affecting the Wasatch, Book Cliffs, and Manti, but good bulls can still be found. The Wasatch and Manti units have very large herds of elk, a lot of tags, and are not managed for the same age class as the units listed above – that being said, 300+ bulls are fairly common, and seeing a 350+ bull can happen with hard work and a little luck.
    Last edited by Alabama; 01-23-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Maybe he has a governors tag?
    Maybe he is the Governor?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab View Post
    Maybe he is the Governor?
    ha ha. That is funny but might be close to the truth. I don't trust any politicians anywhere but we better not get started on that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    The Beaver unit is probably in the top 5 or 6 of the LE elk units in UT. Quality is not what it was 5 years ago, but it's still good. Unless you plan on scouting a ton, I'd lower those lofty expectations. The genetics are there though.