Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

300 Win Mag vs 300 RUM

If I have a 300 Win Mag is there any reason for getting a 300 RUM? Would I gain enough over the Win Mag? I hunt mostly deer, but would like to use it for elk and moose if the opportunity presents itself.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhntr71 View Post
    If I have a 300 Win Mag is there any reason for getting a 300 RUM? Would I gain enough over the Win Mag? I hunt mostly deer, but would like to use it for elk and moose if the opportunity presents itself.
    Thanks.
    I'll probably catch flak for this but I believe it is true. Probably more moose have been killed with a .270 or .30-06 than any other cartridge. My dad and I have killed 5 moose with .270's and only one took more than 3 steps. The last one was hit far back on a running shot, and was killed less than 100 yards away. I think an elk is a far tougher animal than a moose.

You have PLENTY, PLENTY, PLENTY of gun to hunt elk and moose with. I personally hunt with a 300 WSM now for everything because I wanted something I would feel comfortable with shots to 500 yards. Your 300 Win Mag has nearly identical ballistics (if not better) than the 300 WSM.

The reason I would potentially look at the 300 RUM is if I were putting together a long range rifle capable of doing the job at extreme ranges.

There are far better gun guys on this forum than I am, but I would say out to 500 yards you have all you need for moose and elk.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Umpqua nailed it exactly!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Umpqua, I couldnt agree more! The 300 RUM has a little better ballistics but you have to be shooting a looooooong ways for it to make much difference and it also comes with more recoil. If your happy with the 300 Win I would stick with it. If you are looking to get another gun I would look more toward the 300WSM or 325WSM because you can get them in lighter short action guns. If you really want a 300 RUM go for it! They are a good caliber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agree! My son has a .300 RUM that we reload for and the ballistics are only slightly better than my .300 Wby Mag.....and it takes 10 more grains of powder to get there. I personally don't think that using 10 grs more powder to gain 90 fps makes sense. It remains to be seen how his barrel life goes too.

Stick with your .300 Win Mag. If you don't reload, you should to get the most efficiency out of it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot a .300 Win Mag and hand load. I get great accuracy and long range effectiveness out of my rifle. I agree with others that you are gaining a little for a lot of money. Also if you ever do need a box of ammo in a pinch the .300 win mag is much more plentiful then .300 RUM. I would stick with what you have. You can kill anything in North America with a .300 win mag. UH is right, before my brother and I bought .300 win mags we shot elk and muleys with a .270 and 30.06. Good shot placement is more important then ultra mag power IMO.
    Last edited by In God We Trust; 01-23-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Stick with the 300 Win Mag
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Only plus side to the RUM is the ability to push the longer, higher BC bullets out of the tube a little faster. I have a cpl, several 300wm(s) and a boat anchor of a wsm that I've decided is about useless. I really don't see much difference between the 3 or had an animal tell any difference.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Deerhntr71,

I don't a .300 Mag, but if I were to buy one it would be a .300 Win Mag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    When I was a youth I talked myself into buying a .338wm to use instead of my .300wm. It was a mistake. I haven't shot that .338 in probably 10 years.