Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Rangefinder

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I used the Vortex Ranger yesterday while out shooting. It's good out to 600 yards but didn't get any ranges after that. I tried big rocks, trees, side hills but it wouldn't give me anything passed 600. And I'm fine with that since I kill most big game animals at 400 or less and try to always get with in 200. My only negitive I found with it is this. When you push the button to get the cross hairs up to mark the target you want a range on you push the button again to get the range and the cross hairs go away while the Ranger gets the yardage. I don't like that. I'm used to having the cross hairs on the screen while the laser is getting the yardage so I can consentrate on keeping the cross hairs still on the target. When the cross hairs go away I don't have reference point to keep the range finder still. Other then that I'm happy with it. I have to look to see if there is an option to keep the cross hairs on the whole time. I hope so.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I used the Vortex Ranger yesterday while out shooting. It's good out to 600 yards but didn't get any ranges after that. I tried big rocks, trees, side hills but it wouldn't give me anything passed 600. And I'm fine with that since I kill most big game animals at 400 or less and try to always get with in 200. My only negitive I found with it is this. When you push the button to get the cross hairs up to mark the target you want a range on you push the button again to get the range and the cross hairs go away while the Ranger gets the yardage. I don't like that. I'm used to having the cross hairs on the screen while the laser is getting the yardage so I can consentrate on keeping the cross hairs still on the target. When the cross hairs go away I don't have reference point to keep the range finder still. Other then that I'm happy with it. I have to look to see if there is an option to keep the cross hairs on the whole time. I hope so.
    Did you try holding the button down to scan? I dont have one on me at the moment but I recall the crosshairs staying on the screen while using it. Might be a software bug. If you dont have time I can contact vortex for ya and see if its a glich. I remember getting ranges on reflective targets out past 600 for sure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Did you try holding the button down to scan? I dont have one on me at the moment but I recall the crosshairs staying on the screen while using it. Might be a software bug. If you dont have time I can contact vortex for ya and see if its a glich. I remember getting ranges on reflective targets out past 600 for sure.
    Yes I did try that and it still went away. I'll mess with it a bit and see if it's a option. If not I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks

Thanks

New Rangefinder

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Yes I did try that and it still went away. I'll mess with it a bit and see if it's a option. If not I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks
    For sure, my review would have been a bit different if I was in your shoes. Dont settle for less than advertised. it clearly states "1000yds on reflective targets". Id hate to see you have to live with a subpar piece of equipment. If its a glich and you need it for something coming up im sure they will get you a new one before you have to send in your old one. Ill vouch for ya if thats the case.

Even though you dont hunt past 4-500 when you take that 338 out I know its fun to lob one 1000+ just to see a vapor trail. Might as well know how far your shootin.
    Last edited by hardstalk; 01-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hardstalk For This Useful Post:

Ikeepitcold (01-26-2014)

Thanks
    In my experience most range finders are only reliable to about 1/2 of their advertised yardage. The only one I have used that was reliable at ranges near the advertised range is Leica.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    For sure, my review would have been a bit different if I was in your shoes. Dont settle for less than advertised. it clearly states "1000yds on reflective targets". Id hate to see you have to live with a subpar piece of equipment. If its a glich and you need it for something coming up im sure they will get you a new one before you have to send in your old one. Ill vouch for ya if thats the case.

Even though you dont hunt past 4-500 when you take that 338 out I know its fun to lob one 1000+ just to see a vapor trail. Might as well know how far your shootin.
    There is def a problum with it. My buddy has the same one and the cross hairs do NOT go away. I would be willing to bet that this also could have been the cause if not getting better ranges. I have to say IMO Vortex is the best and things happen and in no way will this give Vortex a bad rap for me. The products are awesome and affordable.

When I get the replacement I will go to the range again and start over. The 338 likes the 900 yard gong for sure. Thanks Hardstalk!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    In my experience most range finders are only reliable to about 1/2 of their advertised yardage. The only one I have used that was reliable at ranges near the advertised range is Leica.
    I agree. Most of the range finders I've had including Vortex says it will range to 1000 on reflective and 500 on a deer. That is at least what Vortex says and has been about the same for most in that price range.

Thanks
    The cross hairs on all the Rangers go away as with yours Ikeepitcold. And you have to hit the button 3 times when first turning it on to use. I don't mind the cross hairs disappearing, my friend hates it so he is looking for another rangefinder. My family has a ranch leased out to a university and the research they are doing has the land sectioned off into small areas with animals in each parcel. When ranging the cattle the furthest distance I could get was 298 yards. The furthers object I could get was 589 yards. I ranged some large cylinders (painted white) and there are around 15 off them in three rows, offset from each other, and the furthest one of those I could get on a bright sunny day was 876 yards.
    With all this said, I think yours is normal Ikeepitcold and if you are getting ranges that far on game I'd say it is above average I was ranging big cattle and it couldn't pick them up very far. Also I'd go with the Leica 1000-R CoHiCntry.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clacklin009 For This Useful Post:

Ikeepitcold (01-27-2014)

Thanks
    That doesnt sound like very good performance clackin.

Thanks
    I don't think it is, and hope it didn't sound like I thought it was that is just the range finder I have and the report I have on it. However, for the range finders in that price range I think it is probably standard performance. I think the Nikon Riflehunter 1000 will go farther and the Bushnell G Force 1300. I don't think most people are ranging animals on flat ground with nothing behind them, like I was, so when guys are picking up animals out to 600 yards with the mid range finders I think it is picking up the background-but that doesn't matter as long as you are getting a range.
    Last edited by clacklin009; 01-26-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All