Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the best top of the line cold weather clothing

I mostly hunt in ND. It can get real cold and real windy here. Its not uncommon for -20 ambient temps with -40+ windchills. Typically its my hands and feet that get cold to the point where I can't hardly stand it. So what is the best clothing lineup from head to toes...hats, socks, boots, gloves, pants, underwear, coat, pants, ect ect (emphasis on hands and feet). I would prefer to have clothing that allows for both stand hunting as well as spot and stalking. I am leaning towards getting a clothing setup that is mostly wool if not all wool, where applicable. I'm looking for the real deal stuff that will last a lifetime if taken care of.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    -20? Thats insane. God I love archery hunting in September. Why on earth would you even consider hunting that temp sane?
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hate ending my season early.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kryptek extreme cold weather with a good layering system.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grantbvfd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    -20? Thats insane. God I love archery hunting in September. Why on earth would you even consider hunting that temp sane?
    Heck growing up in northern MN I wouldn't have hunted a few of my first years back in the early 90s. If I was sane or scared of the cold. I remember waking up for opening day of deer season a couple years in a row when temps were. -10 to -25. Now I live in wonderful Ohio where it rarely gets below 0.

I feel for you Ando.....but you can keep it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    Heck growing up in northern MN I wouldn't have hunted a few of my first years back in the early 90s. If I was sane or scared of the cold. I remember waking up for opening day of deer season a couple years in a row when temps were. -10 to -25. Now I live in wonderful Ohio where it rarely gets below 0.

I feel for you Ando.....but you can keep it!
    I will keep it. There is less people hunting in those temps and the deer have to move and feed if they want to live. I just wish I could keep myself more comfortable. I hate that feeling when you're getting close to frostbite and then you get somewhere warm for 15-30 minutes...that is when the real pain sets in on the fingers and toes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You're either going to have to dress for stand hunting or still hunting. You don't have to spend a ton of money to stay warm. I have worn Cabelas Predator pac boots for over 12 hour sits in -10 to -5 weather and stayed comfortable. Use a handwarmer in a muff, along with thin, insulated gloves, and your hands will only get cold if you have to hold your bow for a long time. Inexpensive wool undergarments layered under windstopper fabric and fleece, and you should be good to go. Another secret weapon is to use the adhesive body warmers on your kidney areas. I love bowhunting below zero.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I would look into Cabelas dry plus. I think the heaviest/warmest one is called whitetail extreme. I have the next lighter one and it has kept me warm in temps down to 0. Its to warm alot of times but on a few hunts I have been on when it was real cold I really liked it and its amazing how well it will dissipate moisture if you get sweating in it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Consider some options outside of the hunting line for those temps. I run Patagonia everything on top, from the R level base layers to the Fitz Roy/ Das parka on top. My outer layer pants are made by Mountain Hardware, can't remember the name but they are a puff pant too. Gloves are a thinner liner inside mittens. Boots/feet are a struggle for me still. I've almost come to think there's nothing you can do about that. I tried some 1600 gram boot and it was awful.. feet were on fire.. when hiking.

This is all assuming you are talking about rifle where a camo pattern is not necessary.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    If you're stand hunting, I think it's impossible to beat carhartts, layer with a really nice wool base layer, and then add some loft. Bass Pro's lifetime socks seem to keep me the warmest. Buy a pair of 1,000 gram thinsulate boots, and some of the boot blankets for when you're sitting still, and you should be good down to pretty darn cold. Not sure what to offer on the gloves, I usually just stick my hands in my pockets, sometimes I'll wear a light pair of UA gloves, if its down into the teens/low 20's.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post: