Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Langadune, Packing a horse is alot different that riding a horse. If you are inexperinced at packing, go on the web and learn a couple of hicths and then find a pack saddle and horse and practice, practice,practice. If your pack slips, your going to have a rodeo. A rental horse for a hunt is around $400 w/ tack and you will need a trailer to get to the trailhead. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shot7mm View Post
    Langadune, Packing a horse is alot different that riding a horse. If you are inexperinced at packing, go on the web and learn a couple of hicths and then find a pack saddle and horse and practice, practice,practice. If your pack slips, your going to have a rodeo. A rental horse for a hunt is around $400 w/ tack and you will need a trailer to get to the trailhead. Good Luck!
    Where are you finding rental horses with tack for $400? that sounds like a good deal.

When I looked around for pack stock last summer the going rate was $600/season no tack with $1500 deposit. That is per head.

I think renting, borrowing, or buying stock for hunting has a lot of responsibility that comes with it, and one needs to know what their doing before they hit the mountains. It isn't riding around a pasture, and wrecks happen even with good stock and experienced wranglers.

I think someone DIY horseback hunting on rented stock is foolhardy at best. I don't mean to get on a soapbox, but IMO it is not a good idea.

Leave the horses, keep your expectations reasonable, come on out to Montana, and have a great hunt!

Thanks
    Bitterroot is right. Packing to a wilderness w/ horse is an undertaking if you are not an experienced horseman. When I packed into the West Elk wilderness (Colo),I met some guys from MN and they had a pack slip & one got ran over by his horse and had 3" gash above his eye. He was lucky. I rent horses in Wy for $400 per head, but you have to leave a $1,200 deposit, which they keep if your horse is injured in any way.