Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Eastmans

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to Eastmans

I found this site while researching antelope hunting in Wyoming. I really like how it is set up. First of all I'll introduce myself. I'm Canadian and live in southern British Columbia(BC), I'm basically a mountain hunter due to the fact that 99% of my hunting is within 40-50km(25-30miles) of my home. I hunt mule deer, whitetail, elk, grouse, rabbit, coyotes, wolves, turkey and waterfowl. I was successful in one of our draws and had the opportunity to hunt mountain goat in my region(4-06) but discovered quite quickly that goat hunting is perhaps not my thing. I tried hard but in reality I think I would need to find a goat with vertigo, they live in places that I find insane. I hunt on foot and my favourite way to hunt is backpacking up into one of our high alpine lakes and hunting the subalpine for mule deer or elk. The cutthroat fishing is often very productive(not huge fish but between the two of us we usually catch enough for a meal) so some trips more fishing gets done then hunting.
    The reason I was researching Wyoming was all due to a magazine article in Successful Hunter this past summer which described a hunt into Wyoming's high mountain valleys. The author backpacked into some incredible backcountry where I would never have guessed Pronghorn live. Now I realize from reading the regs that nonresidents require a guide in designated wilderness areas but many antelope hunt areas, specifically 84,85,86,87 have large portions which are not designated wilderness yet are still in the mountains. In the next 4-5 years I would love to hunt pronghorn so I'm starting now looking at what is involved. I am not a trophy hunter so I'm not interested in a monster, in fact I would even be interested in taking a doe just to be able to do a trip like this. And truth be told the budget is tight so buying a lot of pp is not feasible. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of what these areas are like, ie public access, what camping is like, would packing in 5-6hrs to a day on foot get me far enough in to be out of the crowds, do I need to be drawn for a doe or if it possible to purchase a tag over the counter. Honestly though my backpacking trips are more about the getting into some really incredible areas than putting an animal on the ground. Not saying I don't try hard but if I only hunted for the kill I would have given up decades ago.
    Anyhow thanks in advance to anyone willing to share information and once again this has to be the best hunting forum I've come across yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to the Forum there are alot of Great people here from Coast to Coast.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Welcome! There are alot of super good people on here that may help you out. I've only been out goat hunting once so I can't be much help, but seems they move alot when everyone's chasing them around.I would say the best bet that I've seen is to stay close to the truck so you can keep moving, unless on private ground they seem a little tamer. When I went out there was alot of people out chasing them so they were really spooky covering alot of ground and they seem to stay where they can see miles, that's about all I know. Not sure on those units though. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Backpack antelope hunting? I've never heard of that or read any articles on it. Sounds interesting though! I'll be curious to see if anyone has any information. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Backpack antelope hunting? I've never heard of that or read any articles on it. Sounds interesting though! I'll be curious to see if anyone has any information. Welcome to the forum!
    I've "backpacked" a few antelope out . . . There are some areas in Wyoming, primarily western Wyoming, where you can find antelope in higher remote areas that may necessitate a backpack camp. Look for a hunt that starts as early as possible in September, when the weather is more likely to be nice. I've seen them then up above 9,000 feet near aspen stands in early September.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    I've "backpacked" a few antelope out . . . There are some areas in Wyoming, primarily western Wyoming, where you can find antelope in higher remote areas that may necessitate a backpack camp. Look for a hunt that starts as early as possible in September, when the weather is more likely to be nice. I've seen them then up above 9,000 feet near aspen stands in early September.
    That sounds like fun, have to keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    This is the exact type of hunt I'm interested in, remote mountainous and requires a backpack. Himtnhnter did you find a lot of other hunters out there? Western Wyoming is definitely where I'm looking and yes I would appreciate the better weather in September but I am fairly well prepared for snow. Most of our trips after September are in the snow, this year my hunting partner and I spent 6 days chasing mule deer in 8-9inches of snow(this was where we had our camp some higher elevations had more). However am I correct in guessing that the first real snow gets the antelope heading for lower ground?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    This is the exact type of hunt I'm interested in, remote mountainous and requires a backpack. Himtnhnter did you find a lot of other hunters out there? Western Wyoming is definitely where I'm looking and yes I would appreciate the better weather in September but I am fairly well prepared for snow. Most of our trips after September are in the snow, this year my hunting partner and I spent 6 days chasing mule deer in 8-9inches of snow(this was where we had our camp some higher elevations had more). However am I correct in guessing that the first real snow gets the antelope heading for lower ground?
    In general you will not find as many guys hunting higher country. Any antelope area that has mountain country has the chance of harboring herds of antelope up higher if the conditions are right, like migration corridors with sage brush pockets leading to higher country. Dense timber will usually cut them off. I would put a call into some of the G&F offices in the western 1/3 of the state to narrow down areas that have what you're looking for. Once the snow flies the antelope are quickly bound for lower country. The foothills of the Absaroka and Wind Rivers would be a good starting point, but also the lesser known mountain ranges throughout the state will hold antelope in less traditional areas.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I've BACKPACKED a few as well. Welcome to the forum Joseph! Do you by chance have a link to the article you are referring to? I would be interested to read it. Most people stay pretty mobile while chasing antelope, its the most efficient way to hunt them in my opinion. Of course one could backpack/bivy after them. But once you blow an opportunity (which is pretty common with their vision) they will put a couple miles between you and them pretty quick leaving you spending the day following a dust trail.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!