Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Eastmans

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Thats about how I BACKPACKED my buck most of a mile this year hardstalk! Antelope at 9000 does sound interesting. I had never considered hunting them up that high.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey hardstalk, Sorry I can't set you up with a link but the article I was referring to was in Successful Hunter July/August 2013, the Backcountry Bound section, Hunt Pronghorn Where They're Not by Jack Ballard. It's a very interesting article with the style of hunting being somewhat similar to highcountry mule deer hunting, spot and stalk or still hunting the edges of high mountain valleys.
    Anyhow thanks for all the replies, I've got a lot of homework to do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another possible location to check out (again in the western 1/3 of WY would be the east side of the Wyoming Range. I still think you'll see most of your antelope at lower elevations. We have seen some up higher on the eastern side of McDougal Pass though.

Personally, I think if you're going to come to WY for an antelope, you might as well embrace the experience and go mobile as many here have suggested. Even if you're not a trophy hunter, a mobile antelope hunt is one of the funnest things on this planet. The sheer number of animals you can see (if you pick the right unit which isn't too hard in WY) is amazing. If you want a backpack hunt, go for mule deer, whitetails (in the right areas where they are present), elk, or bear. Plenty of opportunities in the high country for them.

Incidentally, if you live in BC and are considering a trek to WY, how is $100-150 in preference points out of the question? It only costs $30 per year to buy a preference point (there is no requirement to purchase the tag up front), and with 4 or 5 points, the whole antelope world opens up in WY with only a couple of the most difficult to draw areas being out of the question. 5 years of points is only $150 total. How much are you going to spend just to get to and from WY?

Just some things to think about. Good luck if you do make the journey. As most here will attest, we are jealous of your living in such prime hunting country there in Canada.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    Another possible location to check out (again in the western 1/3 of WY would be the east side of the Wyoming Range. I still think you'll see most of your antelope at lower elevations. We have seen some up higher on the eastern side of McDougal Pass though.

Personally, I think if you're going to come to WY for an antelope, you might as well embrace the experience and go mobile as many here have suggested. Even if you're not a trophy hunter, a mobile antelope hunt is one of the funnest things on this planet. The sheer number of animals you can see (if you pick the right unit which isn't too hard in WY) is amazing. If you want a backpack hunt, go for mule deer, whitetails (in the right areas where they are present), elk, or bear. Plenty of opportunities in the high country for them.

Incidentally, if you live in BC and are considering a trek to WY, how is $100-150 in preference points out of the question? It only costs $30 per year to buy a preference point (there is no requirement to purchase the tag up front), and with 4 or 5 points, the whole antelope world opens up in WY with only a couple of the most difficult to draw areas being out of the question. 5 years of points is only $150 total. How much are you going to spend just to get to and from WY?

Just some things to think about. Good luck if you do make the journey. As most here will attest, we are jealous of your living in such prime hunting country there in Canada.
    Thanks for the reply, I am definitely more interested in the western side of Wyoming. As to why I'm not really interested in a more mobile style of hunt is that I really don't like using my truck to hunt from. Yes it gets me to where I want to hunt but most times once I've left the truck in the dark I don't see it until either I'm done for the day or I find someone else in the area. Which leads me to another reason why I'm more interested in a pack in or walk in style hunt, I don't like seeing other hunters while I'm hunting or houses, or highways, or vehicles. I do like a challenge. The article I mentioned kind of piqued my interest so to speak.
    As to the priority points for a more desirable draw for some reason I understood each point cost $100, as I said before I am very much in the early stages of planning this so $30 is a much better number and as you pointed out would be a minor cost overall. You also suggested a back pack style hunt for elk, mule deer, whitetail, or bear; well I already do those hunts right from home. Our rifle season starts September 10 and goes through until November 30 for some species (elk ends October 20 and mule deer November 10). Antelope however I can't hunt here and I would like to give them a try and see some different backcountry.
    Unfortunately our prime hunting country is changing very rapidly, it is getting more and more difficult to find game. Fire suppression(causing rapid ingrowth on winter ranges), increasing predator numbers(wolves, cougars, and bears, but especially wolves), and habitat fragmentation. Even though hunter numbers are down there seems to anecdotal evidence that game numbers are way down.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Points in WY are $100 for trophy species. Deer/antelope are $30 and elk are $50. The best way to avoid other hunters antelope hunting is to not hunt the opening of the season. Most tags will be filled in the first days or week of the season and most of those antelope will be killed less then a mile from a road. After that you will have alot of country to yourself. If you hunt a unit with lots of public land there will be plenty of country you can walk into and not see other hunters. Look for areas with good public land and few roads. Most hunters wont walk very far and if you are willing to walk you shouldnt have a problem getting away from other hunters. On the ranch I hunted last fall there were some other hunters that were just baffled that I walked in about a mile in the mud, killed the biggest antelope that had been killed on that ranch in the last few years and packed it out on my back, all within about 3 hours of getting there. They had been there for nearly week driving on the 2 gravel roads that were passible and still had their tags in their pockets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Points in WY are $100 for trophy species. Deer/antelope are $30 and elk are $50. The best way to avoid other hunters antelope hunting is to not hunt the opening of the season. Most tags will be filled in the first days or week of the season and most of those antelope will be killed less then a mile from a road. After that you will have alot of country to yourself. If you hunt a unit with lots of public land there will be plenty of country you can walk into and not see other hunters. Look for areas with good public land and few roads. Most hunters wont walk very far and if you are willing to walk you shouldnt have a problem getting away from other hunters. On the ranch I hunted last fall there were some other hunters that were just baffled that I walked in about a mile in the mud, killed the biggest antelope that had been killed on that ranch in the last few years and packed it out on my back, all within about 3 hours of getting there. They had been there for nearly week driving on the 2 gravel roads that were passible and still had their tags in their pockets.
    Thanks for the information Musket Man, a decent walk in area with the opportunity to camp would be just fine, not all of my pack trips have to include mountains. In fact as I'm quickly becoming closer to 50 than 40 the mountains seem to be getting steeper, just got to keep doing it as long as I can.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Deer PPs are $40 in Wyoming, not $30, and moose are $75, not $100!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-08-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Antelope hunting is just a different hunt altogether. You can find some up high, but most will be in lower country that is cut up with roads, gas lines, well heads, power lines, etc...all signs of man's impact on the land. If you want to do a pack in hunt, I'd do what Musket Man advises and just hike in a mile or two off a road and hunt from there. Unless you have scouted a lot, that is going to likely limit the size of antelope you shoot. Most antelope country (especially in the western 1/3 of WY) is pretty harsh, high desert stuff and populations are spread out (more so on a wet year than on dry years where they're closer to water sources). Being mobile just allows you to see more animals, which typically, if you can hold off the trigger, allows you to shoot a bigger speed goat. To each their own though. You gotta do what you enjoy. If you get into the planning stages and need more info, I'll help where I can.

B/t/w - Sheep and mountain goat bonus points are the ones that are $100 in WY.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks MWScott72 for all the info. It probably makes more sense to just do as Musket Man suggested and do a walk in style hunt, as you say this limits me somewhat but still gives me the style of hunt I enjoy. As to the size of antelope I'm looking for, should I be lucky enough to do this hunt, it really does not matter. I'm not interested in taxidermy so size doesn't matter I would just like to hunt antelope at some point.