Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are the G5 montec that good?

I see alot of guys use the G5 montec. I have used the 125gr thunderheads for years on whitetails never done me wrong. I've been wandering if a one piece broadhead was a better choice for backcountry elk hunting. I shoot a easton axis 340 at 70 lbs. Also wandering how easy it is to get a good edge on them. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shot Easton Axis 340 at 70lbs and the G5 Montec's. They fly really good using this setup. I have sharpened them and it's easy to get a good edge on them. I missed my target and hit a block wall and the G5 Montec was not damaged at all. It needed a little sharpening after that, but it's durability amazed me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I switched to Montec's a few years ago. Another fixed blade I was shooting came apart inside a hog. The blades actually fell out of the head. It seemed like a no brainer after that to go to a one piece broadhead. Also like twp1224 I have never had a hard time sharpening them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsmallfield View Post
    I switched to Montec's a few years ago. Another fixed blade I was shooting came apart inside a hog. The blades actually fell out of the head. It seemed like a no brainer after that to go to a one piece broadhead. Also like twp1224 I have never had a hard time sharpening them.
    Any tricks to sharpening them? I bought the flat diamond Montec stone, and followed the video's instructions, and still could not get them sharp enough for my satisfaction. Any help might save me $70 worth of heads.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    Any tricks to sharpening them? I bought the flat diamond Montec stone, and followed the video's instructions, and still could not get them sharp enough for my satisfaction. Any help might save me $70 worth of heads.
    I had the same problem, couldn't get them as sharp as I would have liked. Went back to my Magnus Stingers.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great broadheads. Have never failed me. They fly great and seem to go through just about anything. The only reason I ever need to replace the G5s, is because I like to keep the arrow and broadhead with the headmount.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have shot 3 bulls with G5 Montecs. One was straigh out of the package, unsharpened, and the bull only made it 60 yards. The other two I sharpeded the Montecs per the video and it made them noticably sharper, but they still don't feel like removable "razorblade" broadhead. Don't let that fool you, the one piece design will never feel the same due to blade thickness and sharpening angle. What I do is highlight the blades with a sharpie and sharpen the heads until the sharpie marks are gone and you have exposed new metal. If you want them crazy sharp, touch them up on some very fine sand paper after you have sharpened them with the stone. The two bulls I shot with the sharpened montecs died within sight also......great heads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been shooting the CS montecs, and they are tougher than the originals, but still need a touch to the sharpening stone out of the package. I have been sharpening mine with a small 1" X 3" wet-stone I can throw in the pack. I will see if I can find one of each version of the montec (after they've been used), and post back later

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have shot the older first versions of them. They are tough as nails for a broadhead, however they also whistled in flight. Several other guys that I have chatted with at Cabelas and Sportsmans proshops also commented on the whistling noise they made and so they preferred other broadheads.

I came across the non mechanical heads by aftershock archery not too long back. If it wasnt Steve of S&S it was someone else that told me about them. Back when the proshop on Garity Blvd was still open. The broadhead is called the Maniac. The blades are nice and sharp, forward cut on contact main blade and a smaller bleeder blade. Nice broadheads. Here is the Link AFTERSHOCK
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've shot the G5 Montecs last year and was very satisfied. Two clean pass throughs and two dead elk in very short order. I previously shot Muzzy's, and was also happy with them. I will still use either of these brands without reservation.

Don't let the hype fool you, the Montecs aren't lazer guided, magic killing machines. They do a great job, I'm happy to recommend them, but don't feel compelled to change.

llp