Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Never thought about oatmeal. That makes sense, but how do you cook it? Do you just let it soak for a while to get it soft? I'm thinking that we will be trying to go early season this year. Normally we hunt out of a cabin at a state park for $30 a night which is pretty cheap since there are beds, heat and air, electricity, and even showers if you go before it gets too cold, but if it comes down to it, I'll get a tent put somewhere so I can go hunting. I'd rather tent and hunt than have a nice warm bed at home.

Does everyone just save throughout the year for hunting season or do you just claim the extra money (if any) during hunting season? We are doing a "hunting savings" where we put some money in every month or couple of months and if I have any extra cash from odd jobs I stick it in there. Every little bit counts...
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I used to have $50 weekly taken out of my check and used that for my hunting fund. Now that I'm self employed I try to set aside a little cash from each check. Even $10 weekly adds up if you don't touch it.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    I too have a "play account" that I put money in each month.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Hunting seasons start right after harvest here so I generally have a little extra money around that time but I still go as cheap as I can. I usually have to save up more for app season then the actual hunt its self.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool

Utah is a good state to apply for points only, if you time it right one license fee allows you to buy points only for 2 years

Wyoming also has a point only ending in Sept to get points while you save for the hunt, and going into this year for elk,deer and antelope max points is only 8

Arizona went to a 365 day license this year and that should allow you to build points there also for 2 years on the same license fee if you time it right like Utah and they have OTC archery deer hunts and javelina hunts that are reasonable that fit your time frame.

New Mexico has OTC deer hunts early and late seasons

Arkansas has very cheap OTC tags for deer and a lot of deer as well, bear, turkey, hogs,

Oklahoma as well.

Check out some the Rez hunts for lion, bear, turkey, cow elk, javelina, small game, duck, and fishing, some of these are 1st come,1st serve others have leftover tags after their draws.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good Luck! It's not the harvest, it's the hunt that counts!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks win! I just finished my Utah application last week and was able to use the same license. That was a big help. I'll have to check into some of the reservations, but I know if you want to shoot a male of any kind it gets pricey.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't sweat it... Why worry after all?

I see a few things in my future...

1. make more money...?
    2. find your priorities, if hunting is one of them, you'll have to sacrifice in other areas...
    3. don't sweat it, things should work out...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The central part of Idaho offers some fine elk hunting in the early season. The tags are around $500 I believe for an OTC. I camped around an area central to several drainages so I didn't have to bounce around by vehicle, which saved on gas. I did have to do a lot of foot travel up and down the drainages, but it was worth it. I didn't see a lot of mule deer but did see quite a few moose. Had a cow and calf 30 yards outside our tent one morning.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by win264 View Post
    Arizona went to a 365 day license this year and that should allow you to build points there also for 2 years on the same license fee if you time it right like Utah
    Not if you are building points for deer and elk. The app periods are too far apart in AZ. Elk/Antelope in Feb. and Deer/Sheep in June. Your license would expire before the deer/sheep app period the second year causing you to have to get another one. But, if you are just building points and not hunting, you could get away without buying the license the third year with the 365 license structure. Need to be careful though and know when your license expires incase you draw a tag. Don't want to be hunting in Sept. with a license that expired in June.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Fuel is a killer these days. I tried taking my car on a sept hunt once when money was tight because 39 mpg is alot better the 18 in my powerstroke, but I will never do that again because I couldnt get to some areas I really wanted to get to. Im was a ML tag I drew 2nd choice and kind of a scouting trip but still regret not taking the truck.
    I do this pretty often but like you said it limits where you can hunt. I have put multiple deer in my honda accord with only minor lingering smells. I look for hwy access areas so no matter what time of year I can hunt it. Although I might be limited it makes me be more creative and put more effort into researching where I go. Plus I think I hunt more with the car. Huntin from the HONDA!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to weigand For This Useful Post: