Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't buy the high dollar high tech clothing that everyone says you need. Stick to reasonably affordable undergarments and straight up wool. $500 for a pair of pants or a coat? Give me a break!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Don't buy the high dollar high tech clothing that everyone says you need. Stick to reasonably affordable undergarments and straight up wool. $500 for a pair of pants or a coat? Give me a break!
    I hear that. I get my gear on the clearance rack. For years it was some thermal underwear and Carhart pants the same boots I worked in and whatever camo shirt and jacket I could scrounge up. Sure it's heavy but I was never cold. It worked for me at that time and for many years.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree on the gear, yeah the expensive stuff is lighter and more comfortable but not entirely necessary. I try to improve my gear a little at a time, for me to spend $500 dollars on hunting gear in one year is a BIG investment. That includes weapon, my newest rifle is 16 years old, I still wear the same fleese pants I bought over 10 years ago, I think I paid about $40 for them. For me by far the biggest expense is fuel, now that I am applying for out of state hunts, tags and app fees are adding up quick! Family comes first, if heavy uncomfortable gear, well that's what I have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I dont have any expensive clothing either. I have army issue rain gear. I used to use the army thermal underwear until I got some under armor cold gear a couple years ago. Polar tech makes some pretty good and inexpensive stuff thats warm and lite and I have 1 of their jackets and vests that I use alot. I have a Cabelas dry plus top and bottom and 1200 gram boots I have had for about 10 years that I use if its really cold.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I dont have any expensive clothing either. I have army issue rain gear. I used to use the army thermal underwear until I got some under armor cold gear a couple years ago. Polar tech makes some pretty good and inexpensive stuff thats warm and lite and I have 1 of their jackets and vests that I use alot. I have a Cabelas dry plus top and bottom and 1200 gram boots I have had for about 10 years that I use if its really cold.
    I still use my military issued poly pros and polar tech base layer plus an assortment of military gear you can find at any surplus store. It saves a lot of money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I normally pick up hunting gear right after the season well its on clearance and the stores are trying to get rid of it. You can save 50 to 60 percent most of the time for good gear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    I still use my military issued poly pros and polar tech base layer plus an assortment of military gear you can find at any surplus store. It saves a lot of money.
    You can get setup pretty good for not alot of money at a good army surplus store! Its not the lightest or greatest but it will work just fine. I use an Army pack and my army boots alot too. One thing I wont skimp on is socks. My feet tend to sweat alot and if Im walking alot cheap socks just dont cut it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Get a rich friend, about your size. They always think they need to upgrade and give me clothes and stuff! Swallow the pride and go hunt ha!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JMBC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I try and get a lot of my clothing from www.camofire.com every once in a while they have some great deals on clothing and gear, which can save you a ton of money.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I noticed in you first posts you have your game processed. Do it yourself and save a couple of hundred $$$ and you'll get better quality meat! I take a 5 cu ft freezer with me on deer and antelope hunts, a 10 cu ft when we expect to get 3 or 4 animals or a couple of elk. Run it with a small generator. Usually on a weeklong hunt I can run the thing on less than 5 gallons of fuel.

Butchering is not very difficult, I've been doing my own meat since I was about 20.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post: