Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the reply, Mike. I probably should stick with the 7 mag as that will provide more range than my coyote rifle. It's good to know about their noses. I'll make sure it is not at my back.

Oh, and your book is a very good read! I've learned a lot about the habits of antelope that I did not know before. You have shot some tremendous bucks over the years. I doubt we have as many B&C bucks running around Nebraska as you have harvested over the years!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NECoyoteHunter View Post
    Thanks, I plan on getting a lot of shooting time with it prior to the hunt this fall. I am also experienced at shooting larger caliber rifles. So, you are saying you would go with the 7 mag over the .22-250?

And what about their noses? No input on that yet?
    I would take a 7 mag over a .22-250 any day for an antelope hunt. The ballistic coefficient (BC) of 7mm hunting bullets will be far better than the BCs of .22 pills. This means they will carry far more energy further out and they will resist the wind far better. I don't know what kind of country the speed goats live in over in NE, but here in Montana they like some pretty windy country.

I worry a lot more about antelope eyes than I do noses.

I can't wait to hear about your successful hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Our family kills 4 doe antelope every fall with a 22-250 and 50 grain balistic tips. The only thing that we do differnt is shoot about 2 ribs back and the bullet will explode and destroy the lungs. A good clean kill. We have never had a problem.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input guys! I hope I can report back in the fall with a good story.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Luck, the goat country here in nebraska is pretty open and yes the wind blows here all the time during season. I think the average shot on antelope for me have all been 200 to 250 yds. that's usually a chip shot growing up here. If you are patient you can usually put a good sneak on. But be prepared for a poke of over 300 to 400 yds. sometimes that's all the better you can do. I think my farthest shot is probably pushing 500. I can remember one at 350 and most others under that. Also be prepared for a close up under 100 yds. Don't have your scope cranked all the way up unless you have time for the longer shot. I usually leave my 3-9 set on about 6 power and that will work well. They are curious and sometimes come in for a closer look before leaving the country. I shoot a 25-06 and it does very well so the 7 mag will be more than enough. I would pick that over a 22-250 any day for this job.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input, Booner! Looking forward to spending some time in the beautiful Sandhills!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What part of the sandhills are you going to be hunting?

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    By no stretch am I am expert on antelope hunting, but I have hunted them and have a nice trophy hangin on the wall. The mention of wind was what triggered me to post. I hunted what I considered normal antelope country, fairly flat, a little grass and no cover. The one thing I noticed is if I was heading toward a herd of antelope they could spot me in a second. I could crawl on my hands and knees for 100 of yards, stop and peer over the brush and it seemed I had eye balls watching my every move even from 100s of yards away. On opening morning I made four stalks and turned down shots at bucks. The thing that got me was on the last stalk a buck walked up to about 200 yards from me and beded, kept an eye on me the whole time. I had already passed on him and after 1/2 hour of watching him and the other 4 bucks in the group I stood up and walked directly away from him. He never even took notice. A couple times that day it seemed like I would be stalking towards antelope and they caught my every move, walk away and they could care less if you were there. Maybe my imagination, maybe not.

I ended up taking a nice antelope walking back to the truck at 2:30 in the afternoon. Two does and a buck came running straight towards me and stopped at 200 yards. I took him with 160 gr Accubonds from a 7RM, but I agree with Mike on this one. I'm not about to get into a discussion about calibers, just be comfortable with the rifle you are hunting with and know what you can hit at what yardage. Good luck on your hunt, I got hooked on my first trip

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been hunting speed goats my entire life, but like others have stated I am no expert!! There is a pretty drastic difference between the calibers you have mentioned. Without a doubt I would go with the 7mm. My reasoning would be the wind. Generally speaking the wind is pretty strong in September and it will throw the 22-250 all over the place. The 7mm can withstand it a little better. I am not saying you can't use the 250, but if you don't shoot it a lot in those conditions stick with the 7mm.

As for their noses, they do use them, but they rely heavily on their eyesight. As you know the farther you get from an odor source the greater the odor dispersion and the strength diminishes. If a danger is within strong odor distance from the antelope then that means their eyes have failed them. One thing I have noticed with antelope is that early in the morning when the wind is low the animals tend to be very calm. As the day wears on and the wind increases, the animals get very spooky. Then in the evening when the wind settles back down then the animals settle back down. I have always attributed that to their inability to use their noses and ears when the wind is strong. I don't know that for a fact, but I have been out there enough times to suggest a strong correlation.

I guess what I am saying is that antelope use their eyes to determine potential dangers and their nose and ears for immediate dangers. NoMoreOldNo7 I have had goats do that many times. Guess you didn't pose a percievable threat to those goats!! I have also used a waving hat to turn a goat sideways, or a little bit of flagging material to tweak a goats curiosity and bring him in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Booner - Unfortunatly, I did not draw this year. My son and cousin did draw and they will be hunting in Box Butte West. Thanks all for your input and advice.