Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 6 Posts

Nebraska Turkey Hunting

Kind of an odd thread here on Eastmans, but does anyone turkey hunt the NW corner of NE? Thinking about going out this May on a hunt/deer scout trip.

On my way back from the Black Hills of SD we drove through and noticed a lot of the forest had burned. Im sure by now the critters are back in (those that made it).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We've mostly been hunting a bean field that's cropped closer than my front yard, so I haven't been able to use my dog. But last night, warm temps opened up one of our favorite ponds, and we got to shoot some birds over open water.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    AT, I haven't hunted turkey in NW but there are a lot of them there. Just about anywhere in NE you will be run over by them. I saw 13 toms in a flock this week and they are starting to spread out with the mild weather and no snow. Very pretty in the NW and plenty of places to hunt. Deer scouting my not be so good as the EHD has been tough for most of the state the last 2 years. Some areas 50% loss or more. Conflicting reports on the deer loss but what I'm hearing it it's worse than the Game & Parks are saying. Research on the deer as much as possible before going.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NE69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NE69 View Post
    AT, I haven't hunted turkey in NW but there are a lot of them there. Just about anywhere in NE you will be run over by them. I saw 13 toms in a flock this week and they are starting to spread out with the mild weather and no snow. Very pretty in the NW and plenty of places to hunt. Deer scouting my not be so good as the EHD has been tough for most of the state the last 2 years. Some areas 50% loss or more. Conflicting reports on the deer loss but what I'm hearing it it's worse than the Game & Parks are saying. Research on the deer as much as possible before going.
    Thanks, turkey hunting is priority #1, and the deer scouting will be part of the turkey hunt if I tag out early. I heard the same thing about the deer myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pine ridge has plenty of turkey just got to get in there and locate them, have to agree with the deer population as stated earlier, I think we lost more than 50% in that area and I have been hunting there for 6 years, going to be looking at the valentine area this year for turkey hunt and scout for deer. Has as much area to hunt as the nw part of the state.
    Brian
    Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
    www.blueskieshunting.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Skies Hunting Advent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Are their Merriams in the Valentine area?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Here is a link with the wild turkey distribution map of North America. Just scroll to the bottom.

http://www.avianweb.com/wildturkeyspecies.html

Here is a link for Nebraska.

http://www.nwtf.org/NAWTMP/states/nebraska.html
    Last edited by Alabama; 02-06-2014 at 08:19 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    SW Nebraska also has lots of turkeys. Get an Open Fields and Waters public access book and look for areas on the creek and river drainages.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mav5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    AT there are tons of turkeys in Neb. I worked for the Game & Parks in the SW park of the state. You can kill a turkey on almost any of the larger WMAs. PM me if you want some info on that part of the state. Good luck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sticksnskullsia For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    AT,

I used to live in Sidney, Nebraska and I hunted turkey's in that area for the last two seasons. Success can be found in the Pine Ridge area but be prepared for competition and you need to be willing to hike in deeper than the average guy. Even though it burned last year, there are still lots of turkeys up there. Look to the Five Points area north of Harrison and some of the walk-in areas around there along the creek drainages. The Gilbert-Baker WMA is another good place that didn't see the fires like the rest of the ridge did. Also, it never hurts to knock on doors up there as friendly ranchers abound and are usually more than happy to let you shoot a few turkeys. Use your calls sparingly later in the season as a lot of those birds have had lots of run ins with hunters by then and become silent and call shy. Spot and stalk methods have also worked really well for some of my hunting buddies up there. I have found that early in the season there are large flocks of birds planted solidly on private ground but as the season progresses and other areas start to develop a more solid food supply, the birds move off of the private land and disburse along the public ground. I hope this helps and good luck!

Best,
    Dan Turvey, Jr.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

16. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Turvey, Jr For This Useful Post: