Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need some pack help

All I have ever used is the Eberlestock J 107. The things I like having on the Eberlestock is the large separate compartments (keep quarters away from gear). The quiet material that it is made from and the ability to go from day pack to hauler. What I hate about it is the empty weight.

The three packs I have been looking at and what I don't like about them.

Eberlestock Blue widow- Not much of a weight savings ( just a little over a pound ).

Kafiru - Hard to tell from website but looks like two smaller pockets with one large compartment ( have to haul meat in with gear). The ones with seperate bag from pack are up there in weight but not bad. I'm worried the material will be noisy going thru the woods.

Stone Glacier- Awesome looking pack but no camo WTF. Also worried about the material being noisy.

My thought was to go buy the Stone Glacier bigger pack system to use for the packing in/out and also buy a frameless camo pack and cut off all the harness's and mount to the Stone Glacier frame for day use.
    Has anyone done this or any other thoughts?

I have searched back several pages but everybodys needs are a little different.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Those are pretty good options.

The SG and Kifaru (You seem to be referring to the Timberline series) are going to have a superior suspension when really loaded down, with the effective load lifters.

The SG and K are both made from Cordura 500D, which isn't too noisy when broken in.

You can use the Gen 2 meat bag to separate the meat from your gear in the Kifaru, if you are really concerned about it.

The Kifaru has nice camo options, but personally I could care less, and run solid color packs most of the time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I run a solid color pack as well. I have handled the SG and own the DT1 Kifaru with the bikini frame. Other packs to check out would be Mystery Ranch and KUIU.

I think the Kifaru is going to be the most customizable of the group. I am very happy with mine so far.

If you are a freak ounce-counter, the SG is going to be tough to beat.

Bitterroot is very knowledgeable and won't lead you astray.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DryFlyGuy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info. With my method of hunting I feel a quiet, camo pack is important.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB nailed it I love my Kifaru and there service is second to none. Aron will take care of you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pretty tough to beat the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A couple other options to check out, Blacks Creek Alternative Pack (7lbs) or Tenzing CF13 (6.8lbs), both start at around 3000 cu in range, but feature a removable bag/frame system that you can lash in extra storage bags for extended trips.
    LINTON OUTDOORS
    Serious Gear for the Serious Sportsman
    www.lintonoutdoors.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I switched from the J107 to the MR Crew cab 2 years ago and was really happy with the choice. This year I picked up a barely used Longbow bag to put on the NICE frame (most of the MR bags are interchangeable on the NICE frame), and I have been really impressed. You can sandwich meat in between the bag and the frame for bringing out quarters with your gear. The longbow with the NICE Frame weighs 6lbs 8oz.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    I love my eberlestock j34 and if u need a ton of room add the spike duffel and it zips right onto the back and I think that will give u 7000 cubic in and pack alone will give u 4600 cu in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 1 Post
    I have packed out several high country bucks with my Badlands 4500 and 2800 - I trust a piece of gear based on using it many times without failures, fit, durability and quietness of the fabric... light weight is great but often it is at the expense of durability, where load capacity and weight distribution is more important to me.

Many of the lightweight pack options are great when you go in because of weight but when you get an animal down, you suffer. I have seen this with my friends several times, with the BL Sacrifice, Sitka and smaller Kuiu packs... Don't be fooled by marketing propaganda, would suck to tear the fabric of your lightweight pack on brush while bushwhacking in or out or have it fail because of the weight you put in it.

These are things I have seen with friends first hand on back country hunts... Get something you like and dont compromise too much with the durability aspect... You should be fine.
    "This is A Way of Life"