Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alaska Moose Drop Camp

Planning a 2015 moose drop camp hunt for my dad and I. Leaning towards drop camp with a raft to get around in and be able to hunt further from camp and still be able to get meat back without breaking our backs. Float hunt sounds like a lot of work with a little bit of hunting in between. Would really like to go with Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel but he doesn't have openings until 2016. Also like Larry Bartlett of Pristine Ventures. Anyone have suggestions on transporters or outfitters that do drop camps? Main goals are to not see any people and have a reasonable shot at bringing home a couple of 55" plus bulls. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    Two moose are a lot of work...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats very true from what I hear. Part of why we are planning at least 10 days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You'll have your work cut out for you with a float hunt. Some of my friends wish they hadn't done it, too much time spent packing and unpacking the rafts and setting up camp each night. That's a whole lot of work. Also for a DIY moose hunt you need to be realistic about success. The odds say neither of you will get a moose. You have a chance of at least getting one and its rare for you to get 2 on only a 10 day hunt. Also check on water levels on the river you are going on and if they're any portage areas. That's is the worst part of a float trip and not uncommon to run into a couple of portage areas on certain rivers...good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That seems to be the general consensus. We are 90% sure we are sticking with a drop camp. I know I already mentioned Papa Bear and Pristine Ventures, also looking at Renfo's. Anyone ever use Renfro's?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My buddies have used 40 mile Air out of Tok, Alaska for their moose hunts and have been successful.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    I used Wright's Air.

If you float, see if you can do fewer miles and spend 2-3 days in a moosey area.
    I have heard good things about Larry's planning services.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used High Adventure out of Kenai several years ago for a moose drop camp. I was unsuccessful on the moose, but my partner and I each took a black bear. We saw several moose close to camp, but the only one that would have been legal had broken off one side of his rack. He was right in the camp. They had a first class service and we probably would have scored if we had been more experienced.
    I would do the float trip next time, because it allows you to cover a lot more territory. It is impossible for most people to pack two moose any distance in a reasonable time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Any of the outfits you mentioned should be good. I don't know Renfro but haven't heard anything bad about him. I think he goes into unit 18 which has a really high moose population right now, well over the population guidelines.

You probably know what your'e getting yourself into by taking 2 moose but don't under-estimate how huge they are. Packing one out is not for the faint of heart or someone with back problems, don't wander far from the river!

Don't expect to not see anyone. The fall moose season isn't all that long and folks will be out hunting the rivers.