Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdebrot View Post
    I muzzleloaded 57 two years ago for elk and took a decent 5 by 5. I did see one big bull and a bunch of cows on a week long hunt. I think it is a good area but not a great area. Hunting pressure where I was at was very little. The game warden recommended a spot in 57 and that is pretty much where I concentrated my efforts. There was plenty of elk sign, however the weather was a little warm and there was very limited bugling going on. The scenery is beautiful during September and I will probably go back in the near future because I think I could pull another elk out of there and it is pretty easy terrain to hunt. Keep in mind that the success odds in the area aren't the best for a limited quoto hunt area.Attachment 7897
    You must of talked to Bob C. My old classmate & buddy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    You must of talked to Bob C. My old classmate & buddy.
    The warden that I talked to was Randy Hancock.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by sdebrot View Post
    The warden that I talked to was Randy Hancock.
    See, I believe he is stationed in Buena vista or Salida

Thanks
    Congratulations
    sdebrot, first off awesome bull! Thank you for all the info as well! In the resent talks with my hunt group I think 57/58 is where we are going to apply. It may not be the best area as far as success for our points but looks to be good terrain for us to get broke in on. We have not pinned down a season yet. Draw success looks to be about the same between first and third season with third having a little better success rate. Does anyone have any advise between the two? I'm thinking of bringing my UTV for aid in game retrieval if possible but mostly for hunting areas a little further from camp. Would the UTV be an advantage over a truck for travel? Just ordered my BLM maps as well so if anyone is willing to share any areas that hold Elk with a couple first timers we would sure appreciate it!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WiHunter29 View Post
    sdebrot, first off awesome bull! Thank you for all the info as well! In the resent talks with my hunt group I think 57/58 is where we are going to apply. It may not be the best area as far as success for our points but looks to be good terrain for us to get broke in on. We have not pinned down a season yet. Draw success looks to be about the same between first and third season with third having a little better success rate. Does anyone have any advise between the two? I'm thinking of bringing my UTV for aid in game retrieval if possible but mostly for hunting areas a little further from camp. Would the UTV be an advantage over a truck for travel? Just ordered my BLM maps as well so if anyone is willing to share any areas that hold Elk with a couple first timers we would sure appreciate it!!
    most of the roads are county roads which you cannot drive a UTV.. There are some forest service roads that can be easy be driven on with a 4 wheel drive truck. I think it would be better to just use a truck. Other things to consider is you cannot take any motor vehicle of the road even if it is to retrieve game. Truck, UTV ATV motorcycle ...So you'll need a good frame pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok thanks for the info. I think we may leave the UTV at home then. We do each have a frame pack. Best start getting in shape so we don't fall over trying to use then! Haha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WiHunter29 View Post
    The roads that I was on were good enough that a 4 by 4 truck would do just fine. Looking at last years draw stats it will take a minimum of 1 point for 1st season and 2 for 3rd, with low draw odds with those points. I'm assuming you are a nonresident. I was toying with bowhunting the unit this year or getting one more point and rifle hunting next year in first season. One bonus to hunting first season is that the rut may still be going.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am a nonresident, we currently have three points. Rifle tags should be very obtainable for us, we are also considering trying for muzzleloader season. The draw is a little tougher for us for muzzleloader but it looks like odds would still be in our favor. For a group of first time Elk hunters do you think there is an advantage either way, muzzleloader or first season rifle? I really like the idea of hunting during the rut which muzzleloading im sure will give us a shot at, but not sure that the rut would be a huge benefit to us being that we really don't know how to call..
    Last edited by WiHunter29; 02-22-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Wihunter If I were you I would hunt first rifle since you aren't familiar with how to call. There is a real possibility that the elk will still be rutting during first rifle this year since the season is so early.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Alot of times ML elk hunts are much harder to draw then 1st rifle. That may help you decide which season to apply for too.