Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Arizona Mule Deer - Archery 2015

Looking for some direction as to what unit to begin looking at (Google Earth) for a 2015 over the counter mule deer hunt in AZ.

We're DIY and will hunt BLM or Nat'l Forest. We've hunted New Mexico 3 times (archery mulies) and want to kick west a bit more.

Any opinions on units/areas of the state are welcome. Avoid, check out, can't OTC here.....anything. We'll drive anywhere.

Thanks
    Arizona is diverse desert habitat... You can literally pick any unit and find good bucks. I have been all over the place in many units and glassed up shooters. You would be best advised to pick a couple units that are close to one another and hunt them hard - Get to know the areas and continue to hunt them until you figure them out. The desert is tough and the animals hide well. If you are used to NM, then Az shouldn't be too much different.

The bigger muleys in all areas of the OTC units generally inhabit the flats in Mesquites, Palo Verde or Greasewoods - Best method is to get high and glass the washes and benches... Talk to a biologist and see where the monsoons hit hardest and focus in those areas, as green up areas hold more deer, because of more feed...

Literally all the units can be good, so pin the tail on the donkey and have fun.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Good stuff Graylight. As long as you are buying the AZ hunting license, start buying AZ points. Pick a deer unit where you can do some on the ground scouting for a future hunt for another species.

I believe you can combine javelina hunting with the archery deer season. I'm just starting to learn about that. I'd love to do that someday.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    You can combine the javelina with coues or mulies on the Jan hunt. Also bring a shotgun for quail and puddle jump ducks. I've done that in Unit 32 and had a great time. Good idea about buying your license in May and buy points for deer for a future hunt. Almost the whole state is OTC deer for archery deer, The exceptions being the Strip and North Kaibab units.

Thanks
    I don't think you want to buy your license in May because you will miss out on January deer and javelin hunt, Az.hunting license run from January 1st to Dec.31 st, sorry if I read your statement wrong, or maybe you were referring to rifle season only, but if your bow hunting you will want to buy your license in the end of Dec.or January 1st.

Thanks
    What type of terrain do you want?

Thanks
    We've hunted the Gila and the Lincoln National Forest 2X in New Mexico. We focused on the foothills rather than the real steep stuff for obvious reasons. I think we're looking for something a bit more rolling than steep.

However, we are willing go 8000 + if there is some talent up there. In your experience, in what terrain have you seen better deer?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by az.mountain runner View Post
    I don't think you want to buy your license in May because you will miss out on January deer and javelin hunt, Az.hunting license run from January 1st to Dec.31 st, sorry if I read your statement wrong, or maybe you were referring to rifle season only, but if your bow hunting you will want to buy your license in the end of Dec.or January 1st.
    Good point on the license, I have a lifetime license and was only thinking about when we put in for deer and sheep. If he is only an archery hunter then you are right, wait until the Jan hunt or when he puts in for javelina. My Bad !

Thanks
    Bit confused. I just bought a 2014 license to get points. This license expires 12-31-14. How do I buy a 2015 license IN 2014 before we travel? I do not want to waste any time standing in a Wal-mart or some other Ma and Pop shop. Additionally, we are buying OTC deer. WHERE and WHEN can I buy an OTC rat and deer tag?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpaolini81 View Post
    Bit confused. I just bought a 2014 license to get points. This license expires 12-31-14. How do I buy a 2015 license IN 2014 before we travel? I do not want to waste any time standing in a Wal-mart or some other Ma and Pop shop. Additionally, we are buying OTC deer. WHERE and WHEN can I buy an OTC rat and deer tag?
    You can buy them online later in the year. No worries.