Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Utah General Season Archery for Elk

Can someone shed some light on Utah Elk General Season Archery? I am a non resident and know nothing about this state. This is my wife and I first Archery Elk hunt and it appears from what I have read on the Utah Wildlife website you can hunt any unit during archery. Is that true? We aren't looking for a trophy, but a spike or cow would be our second choice over a legal bull. Is there a unit we should look at that has better numbers of elk than others? I could find anything on the Utah Wildlife webiste that showed numbers or success rates.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 2 Posts
    Below is a link to the annual reports of 2012. The general season elk harvest stats are there. They haven't come out with the 2013 report yet.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/big..._bg_report.pdf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you. Much appreciated. I just read somewhere it is pretty much useless to go after after anythinig other than a spike or cow in Utah without a limited entry tag. Is this true? Not that I mind that, but at least an opportunity at a legal bull would be nice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    chrisk, I don't know if non-res. regs. are any different than res. regs; with that said, for a res. when you obtain an archery tag you can hunt any of the general season elk units. These units are divided into spike only and any bull. Yes, there will be units that produce more elk than others however the fact that you can shoot a cow makes it so any hunt can be very productive. The DWR is always promoting the large amount of spike bulls but you will generally see a lot more branch antlered bulls when hunting in these units becaue the spike only hunts are held on ground that corresponds with limited entry any bull elk hunts. If you look at the elk limited entry draw odds for the 2013 year you will be able to see the units that have the most applicants. These unit will generally have more elk and can be a good spot to start looking if you are okay with a spike only/cow hunt.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Clacklin009. From what I've read, the regs are the same for res and non-res. Thanks for the info. Spike/ cow are fine with me and my wife, was just hoping for the opportunity at a legal bull if the situation presnted itself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    General season here in Utah is a tough hunt, especially if you cant scout. But, it certainly can be done. The Uintah's are always high on the list because of decent populations of elk and lots of public land, plus some country to get away from people. But don't expect to run into bugling bulls every day by any means. You can shoot any bull in the Uintah's or any other general any bull unit. There are a few other areas in northern Utah you can explore, but most have private land issues. As far as spikes or cows go, pick one of the limited entry units to hunt, many more elk to hunt, but you may actually have to search through more raghorns and mature bulls than you would like to find a spike.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Shedhead!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Look to the Uintah's or the South Slope units if you would like a chance at a branch antler bull, but like was stated before you will work for them. Utah's archery hunt is a hard hunt because it starts and ends so early. I would look at coming out the last two weeks of the hunt if you want a chance at hearing some bugling bulls. If you come out earlier look at setting on water or used wallows.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Ruttin. I think we were looking at the week before Labor Day to give us that extra day, but sure yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    You will definitely have more of a chance at some, if not limited, bugling action if you come out during the last week of the general hunt. Units with large elk herds include the Wasatch (think around Strawberry & Currant Creek Reservoirs) and Manti (think around Scofield Reservoir) units. The Cache units (especially S. Cache) in N. Utah are also very popular. All the units mentioned are spike/cow for archery. The Uintah's are the popular choice for an any bull unit, but that is REALLY BIG country with lots of it forested heavily. You will work very hard for an elk in that unit - some people don't see squat during a week, while others (usually those that have been able to hunt it several times) are successful on a consistent if less frequent basis. Most of the other any bull units have private land issues, but if you can figure that puzzle out, a good hunt can be had on them. Keep in mind that the overall success rate for the general archery hunt is in the 6-8% range, so you are by no means guaranteed an animal in any unit hunted. Good luck if you decide to head this way!