Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Region Y question(s)

I was lookin at region y and none of the zones are LE, so this area would definitely be a second choice, or third choice? I saw the ed taylor habitat area and there is a lot of public land in there, blm, state, game agcy. It looks as though the access to the tops of the mts where the public land is, is shut off by private ownership. Can anyone give some insight into access into the area, coming from the Kaycee side. Deer areas 32, 33 and 163. Is it worth trying to get in there or is it hit pretty hard by guys thinkin the same as me. Is an ear width 4x4 an unreasonable expectation in that area? Cheers

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 8 Posts
    Topgun….where are you??

That is Topgun's area. No worries, he only charges $200/hour for advice.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Region Y is a general zone (group of units) so that is why there are no LE units in it. I have not hunted it but I am thinking about some of the areas you mention for 2nd choice antelope since it has a decent amount of public land. There are a couple units in Y in the Bighorn mountains with good access you could hunt in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    32 and 33 are the units to hunt down there with a two week season and any deer is legal. If you have maps and a GPS with landowner chip, you can get into plenty of BLM land by going on the Barnum Mountain Road to the west to hunt the south end of 32 and Barnum Road gong north out of Barnum to hunt the north ends of 32 and 33 as the latter road divides the two units. Those are main public roads that access the BLM but you have to keep going through the private lands they go through.

All deer units in Wyoming are within Regions and those Regions can also have LE units within them. Most can't be hunted on the Region tag, although there are a few in the state that do allow some days of hunting with a Region tag, but the LE tag is always good for the best hunt in that LE.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 01-31-2014 at 08:02 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pm sent. I hunted pronghorn there last fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Topgun you say you have to keep going through private lands. As long as it is a county maintained road they cant block access, is that correct. So I could drive to barnum, hang a right and go north and start huntin, without having to go through gates? People don't necessarily take kindly to California plates. It looks like there are wilderness study areas, are those the same as wilderness area where a NR needs a guide or is it different? Why not 163?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    163 and 169 are shorter antlered only seasons due to low deer numbers. The study areas you're talking about do not fall under the wilderness act like the ones where a NR needs a guide. As long as you stay on a county or state maintained road that is correct. There may or may not be gates you have to go through on a county maintained road. Usually there are cattle guards, rather than gates, where a fenceline hits a road. The common, courteous thing that everybody should follow is to leave a gate open or closed as you found it. Now after saying all that I wonder why I'm giving all this information to a guy from CA!!! Just kidding, LOL!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    I was lookin at region y and none of the zones are LE, so this area would definitely be a second choice, or third choice? I saw the ed taylor habitat area and there is a lot of public land in there, blm, state, game agcy. It looks as though the access to the tops of the mts where the public land is, is shut off by private ownership. Can anyone give some insight into access into the area, coming from the Kaycee side. Deer areas 32, 33 and 163. Is it worth trying to get in there or is it hit pretty hard by guys thinkin the same as me. Is an ear width 4x4 an unreasonable expectation in that area? Cheers
    Hunted Y last year, with success. I spent literally all year scouring over maps and doing online research. When we got out there the first thing we discovered was EVERYONE did the same research as us! Tons of other hunters, some road hunting and some "off the beaten path". Saw a few sheriffs and some game wardens as well!

Access to the mountains is going to be dependent not only if it is a public road but weather as well. We got a lot of snow just before season opener last year.

The Ed O Taylor would be a good area, but it will have hunter pressure as well (but at least it is a large area to roam on). One thing to know about it is this; bring a ATV, UTV, something as those 2-tracks are a sloppy mess when they get moisture. I would think if you got in there then got off the 2-tracks you would be in better shape than most.

I seen more fork horn deer in the southern regions of Y then I have seen in my whole life! If you see a ear width 4X4 in that area on public land you will do better than 90% of the other hunters. The biggest deer I seen where on private hay meadows, for good reasons of course. I did see some 140" class mulies taken off public land, but the two I seen the guys spotted them from the road (so I guess if road hunting is your thing then it might pay off).

If you go, go with the mind set that you are there to have fun and killing a deer is at the bottom of your priority list. We had a blast, got wet and cold and ran into more hunters than I thought existed. But the three of us in our party made memories that will last forever, so it was a success in my book.

Those wilderness study areas will be full of surrounding land owners elk hunting off horses. Look into the walk in area, we only seen one truck parked there.

Dont forget to eat in Kaycee and support the local economy too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AT Hiker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    You might want to look into region F as well, same situation as Y but more land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted Reg Y for the last 5 years. There are a lot of bucks to be had here if you are willing to work for them. Have not seen much for big bucks, but an ear width 4x4 is very doable. Just have to get past the orange wall by the roads.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to B4U For This Useful Post: