Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4corn View Post
    sounds like a bunch of us may be in the same areas. i too have been looking at Y for deer and researching 17,18,20,21, 23 for antelope. havent narrowed down the antelope yet. is there a place to find concentrations or do you go by hunter success rates to give an idea of numbers?
    ***Go into the 2013 Regulations section on the G&F website and look at the number of tags issued in each unit, as well as the harvest stats to get an idea of herd density. You also really need to look at how much accessible public land there is in a unit. An example is unit 23 for antelope has a ton of buck and doe tags left over all the way through the season every year and a lot of animals are killed. However, there is not that much accessible public land and only one WIHA up in the nw part, so you have to really get out and walk a lot on the available land to fill your tags. A lot of guys just road hunt for antelope and then gripe when they don't fill a tag when they could have parked and walked over a hill or two and found animals that can't be seen from the road.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-08-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 6 Posts
    The roads in the Ed O Taylor are basic 2-tracks, most vehicles can get to the Outlaw Cave area then after that its a lot of horse and UTV traffic.

I have never been on the southern portion of the Ed O Taylor, but the roads outside of it are pretty iffy too. A few wet creek crossings that require a high clearance 4x4 to cross. I chose not to cross one in my F-150 4x4 last year and had to circle back 8 miles. I might have been able to cross it, but if I got stuck or screwed up my truck I my hunt would have ended. We were looking for doe antelope, so it wasnt worth it to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    IMO harvest stats in these units with limited access and public land can be misleading to a public land hunter because you dont know how many were harvested on private land. Those units will all have antelope in them but its hard to say how many there will be on public land you can access. These units are easy to draw because of the access issues and they are what they are. They can be decent hunts if you research the public land and access in them and dont mind getting out and walking.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Jrod
    What AT said on vehicle is spot on. I think if I go back I'll take my atv and just park the truck. I'd sure hate to pay the gas bill on your suburban!😊

What MM said on some of those units is definitely correct. Very deceiving on huntable public. The eastern part of 21 is definitely that way

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope to put a new fuel injected small block in the suburban. If I can get 15mpg or so Ill be happy with that. It has a 4 speed in it but a 5 or 6 speed with overdrive would be ideal. I was figuring if I put 12-15k into the suburban it would not lose as much value as buying a newer model used pickup for the same amount of money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Jrod
    I like that thought process. Nothing better than "old iron" anyway

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Adding a TBI fuel injection like a Holley Pro-jection to your older small block and an overdrive would help your mileage alot and save some money. Look at the ranger overdrive from advanced adapters or gear vendors overdrives. Way off topic from region Y but I like this stuff! lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for the info guys. topgun i have that report of tags available and hunter success, just didnt know if there was any better info out there. i was looking at that area in 23, but it appears like a small piece of land compared to other units i think i can draw with 0 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    IMO harvest stats in these units with limited access and public land can be misleading to a public land hunter because you dont know how many were harvested on private land. Those units will all have antelope in them but its hard to say how many there will be on public land you can access. These units are easy to draw because of the access issues and they are what they are. They can be decent hunts if you research the public land and access in them and dont mind getting out and walking.

Yep, hunted 23 a couple years ago. Knew what I was getting into but man it was tough, only found a dozen antelope to hunt on public land in that unit...hunting hard for 3 days too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the antelope know where you can and cant hunt in that area! I have hunted pretty close to there and seen very few on public land too.