Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: young guns,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

young guns,

any body watch "young guns" on 20/20 last night? i wasnt gonna watch it but i did and its sickens me to watch how some of these young children handled guns layed out for them, unloaded ofcourse but when not supervised they all played around with them, showed guns in houses that the adults thought were hiddedn, kids all knew where they were. how much of this was a set up????? who knows but deff makes me think twice bout where i keep my guns. rifles are allways in the safe but my concealed, when not on me is under my bed, i want fast acsess to it if needed. id like to hear anyones thoughts on this show last night.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    I didn't watch it, but I think how kids handle guns all comes down to how parents teach them. Being raised in a home with guns, we were taught at a very young age how to handle and shoot guns. We were also taught that guns are tools, not toys.

I think a lot of people, especially people that only own a gun for home protection, just try to hide it from their kids, instead of involving their children in learning how to use a firearm, and the dangers associated with them.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I only caught the tail end of it. You might want to watch this. That being said, I believe we do have a responsibility to safeguard our children and do the best that we can to keep them safe. I am all for having firearms secured in a safe of some type. I also feel that it is much better to educate our children about firearms and teach them about how to behave around a gun and how to safely use a gun than it is to keep the secreted away.

You cannot believe the amount of firearms we have stolen every year in the city where I live and work. ( Population about 60,000) A lot of firearms are getting into the wrong hands because folks are careless beyond comprehension. We have kids under the age of 18 who go out "car hopping" and are coming away with rifles, pistols, and shotguns. What makes a person sick is that every single one of these stolen firearms that I can think of got into the wrong hands because the person owning this firearm did not complete the simple act of locking their car or pickup!! Yes they can still get in a vehicle even if it is locked, but a vast majority of folks won't break the windows on a car or try and get in some other way as they are weary of setting off the alarms that a lot of cars have on them. Keep them out of sight in cars and lock the car. That's what the door locks are for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...1UkqBx58#t=186
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I refuse to watch that garbage.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i have a buddy that took out the firing pin of his rifle and hand gun and layed it on the ground for his kids to play with, along with an empty shell. i asked wtf are you doing, he said, they cant get hurt and they will play with it for a bit then be very bored of it and loose all curiosity of it until im ready to teach them what "guns" are about. i thought that was a very interesting aproach.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow! Thats just plane stupid. Then they see dad shoot the things a month later....... That "curiosity" pops up, and they observe how he made it go bang so loud! Then find them at home and try to make like dad did! All kids like to copy dad.

I was trying to time a car engine on reinstall after a full rebuild. Me and my friend were under the hood working on the distributor cap when the car suddenly tried to start! We freaked out, and couldn't figure out what caused it. I walked around to remove the key as a safety for us and found my then 3 year old son with the key in his hand trying to help dad start the car! I had the keys in the seat and he had found em, knew which one it was, where to put it, and how to turn it, all from just watching dad.

My boys are 8 and 9 now. They can both show you how to load, unload, fire, just about any gun I own. Some of them they can field strip and reassemble. I taught them how to be safe, how they work, for a reason. That curiosity of watching dad they will try it on their own if I dont keep them safe.

I need to know they can be safe and not do it wrong even once, and I make DAMN sure the fear of God and Dad is in them about touching guns, or bows in the absence of an adult is always there. They are still learning, and I keep a very close hover when we are shooting as does my wife if we are all out.

Even though they are trained, they make mistakes and its up to me to be firm, sometimes harsh and mean, to make it real to them the importance of safety. They will be safe, but not because I let them "play" with guns, bows, fire, etc. because I train them, observe them and keep them away in my absence.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    well said wolftalon

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kids are going to play with things they shouldn't. Could be a gun, could be a rattle snake. I was raised in a house where guns were readily available. I'm not sure of the teaching method, but I knew if I touched one I would get my butt tore up. It seemed to work bc I don't recall handling one until I was given the green light to do so.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Let's see....CBS....Diane Sawyer.....that pretty much says it all.....STAGED EVENT FOR TV. Try to name anything on TV that isn't staged. All of those stupid "reality shows".........oh, ya, those are all real. All those "hunting shows"....oh, ya....real life for sure!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I thought this was pretty neat.

http://klaw.com/the-perfect-place-to...ck=fbshare_top

I did the under the mattress thing before I had a 2 year old. She found it one day, no clip and a cable in it but It was enough to scare the piss out of me. Adjusting to what kids are capable of is one of the hardest things to do as a parent.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hardstalk For This Useful Post: