Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

OTC turkey hunting

Hey everyone,

This will be my first year hunting turkeys in Colorado. I put in for the draw to hopefully pull a tag in the NE to hunt the Rio's but most likely will be going after the elusive Merriams'. Does anyone have any general recommendations as to where I should start looking. I've been using a mouth call for 10 years now and grew up hunting in PA with more hunters than any other state, so I know it takes leg work to get into the back country. Just wondering where I should start.

Thanks
    What part of the state are you looking at? Colorado Turkey hunting can be tough when compared to eastern states. I would collect points for Colorado too in hopes of drawing every few years. I killed a gobbler my first morning out in a draw unit last year. I've also spent a lot of time getting skunked in OTC units... Either way, it's a great time of year to be in the mountains and even though the success rate is low I thoroughly enjoy the time and look forward to it every year. I get to see lots of elk while out turkey hunting too which is a bonus!

Thanks
    I was thinking somewhere down near Cripple Creek or out west near grand mesa. I've "heard of" birds in both ares but haven't actually seen any myself. Have you hunted either areas?

Thanks
    I don't live to far from Cripple Creek, so yes I've hunted close by. I haven't hunted near grand mesa but have hunted south of there on the Uncompahgre Plateau in units 61 & 62. There's birds on the plateau and lots of area to hunt them.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    I've only chased turkey in the Rampart Range area, 511. Lots of people, hunters, campers and hikers but there are a few birds in those mountains. I have a buddy who tags out every year up there.

Thanks
    I do it a little bit here in Colorado but I have found it is better to drive to Nebraska or Kansas and hunt them. Both states have public access and a lot of birds. Colorado is tough but there are some birds.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    I've only chased turkey in the Rampart Range area, 511. Lots of people, hunters, campers and hikers but there are a few birds in those mountains. I have a buddy who tags out every year up there.
    I almost killed my first gobbler in 511 two years ago. I called a lone Tom in from probably 500 yards away. He never got close enough and just kept walking and gobbling right on by me. There's some birds up there but hard to find. If you know someone who "tags out every year" you should be hunting with him more!!! I've spent quite a bit of time up there and have never found anything consistent. Here today, gone tomorrow...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I do it a little bit here in Colorado but I have found it is better to drive to Nebraska or Kansas and hunt them. Both states have public access and a lot of birds. Colorado is tough but there are some birds.
    I do the same thing... I'll hunt Colorado a couple years until I can't take it anymore, then head over to Kansas and hammer two birds in a couple day's. In the long run it's probably cheaper to just head over to NE or KS. I still love hunting Merriams in the mountains though! Can be more than frustrating though...

Thanks
    Nice. As far as hunters go in general, did you run into more out west or down south by where you live? I'm just trying to narrow down my scouting time this year, so I'm not driving all of the state, I'd rather focus in one area.

thanks again for the info

Thanks
    I've rode my motocross bike there a few times. Are the birds around all of the trails or further deep in the woods? I'd imagine if the weathers nice in April there will be a lot of campers and riders there?