Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thats hard to believe. I have lived here since 1999, hunted archery exclusively here the last eight years, and this is taken from the current rules from 2013 right off the web page and its not any different than a book from 2006.

Archery Equipment
    In any hunt, including general any-weapon seasons and short- range hunts, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals:
    • With arrows or bolts having broadheads measuring less than 7/8 inch in width and having a primary cutting edge less than 0.015 inch thick.
    • With any bow having a peak draw weight of less than 40 pounds up to or at a draw of 28 inches or any crossbow having a peak draw weight of less than 150 pounds.
    • With an arrow or bolt wherein the broadhead does not precede shaft and nock.
    • With any chemicals or explosives attached to the arrow or bolt.
    • With arrows or bolts having expanding broadheads.
    • With arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule.
    • With any electronic or tritium-powered device attached to an arrow, bolt or bow. Except disabled archery permit holders may use a nonmagnifying sight with battery powered or tritium lighted reticles.
    • With any bow capable of shooting more than one arrow at a time.
    • With any compound bow set at more than 85 percent let- off.
    • With an arrow or bolt, and broadhead with a combined total weight of less than 300 grains.
    • With an arrow less than 24 inches from broadhead to nock inclusive.
    • With a bolt (crossbow) less than 12 inches from broadhead to nock inclusive.
    I hunt because......

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ando_31 View Post
    I didn't mean to offend anyone, my viewpoint is from an investment standpoint. You will never get your money back out of a bow. Of course a 5 or 10 year old bow isn't worthless, but it probably will be in another 10-15 years. At some point your bow will be just like the 25 year old bows you see for sale now. Your switchback is probably worth 300ish now (I'm sure you could get more or less depending on many factors). After 10 years it likely depreciated around 2/3 of its original value. The point I was trying to get across is that bows are like computers or any other technology today. You pay top dollar for the brand new innovative designs, but you can get a heck of a deal on 1-2 year old bows or brand new bows with less branding costs. Some top of the line consumer goods appreciate or at least hold value very well but compound bows do not follow that premise.

To Musketman: From the investment standpoint, whatever (compound) bow you decide to go with will never be worth what your guns are going to be worth 25 years from now. Buy to use, not collect.
    No offense taken, and I understand your point that they will continue to drop in value. As far as trade-in value yes, they will be "worthless" in time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    [QUOTE=wolftalonID;72790]Thats hard to believe. I have lived here since 1999, hunted archery exclusively here the last eight years, and this is taken from the current rules from 2013 right off the web page and its not any different than a book from 2006.
    If you still have the 2006 book, take a closer look. I think it was 75% or more was illegal to use. Believe me, I was not happy about spending 50$ to change to the 65% cam since my bow shot better with the factory-installed 80% cam.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    Musket Man, if you are looking to learn some of the more technical terms and what not, you can look at www.huntersfriend.com and read up on all kinds of components that comes with archery hunting. I know this sight helped me considerably when starting out for the first time. Like all the others have said, shoot multiple bows and pick what feels best. Best of luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Thanks tdub24! Alot of great info on that site! I will look up some state regs too. I want to start out in Idaho but I might want to go to some other states or here in Washington in the future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Go to a local pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can from different brands and price points. There's some real good bows that companies put out, that aren't their top of the line flagship bows. Like the Bowtech assassin for example. While at the pro shop they will (should) help you with your draw length and weight. The BT assassin has draw length adjustment. But I would definitely shoot as many different bows as I could until you find one that feels and fits you good. Ignore the price while your doing this if you can haha. Also make sure you buy the correct spine of arrow for your set up. If and when you do decide to buy, I can help you with arrow selection. I also have software that I can run that will tell is what spine you should be shooting for your draw weight and length. If your arrow is too weak spined, you'll shoot like crap and won't be able to get your bow tuned properly. Good luck!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    And as others have said....buy at a pro shop. The service you'll get (if it's a good shop) is worth it in the end. Accessories, that's another story, but most give you a good deal of $$ off accessories if you buy a bow there. The BT Assassin comes ready to hunt minus arrows and a release aid. The accessories that come on it aren't the best, but they are OK and make the bow a value buy for sure. And you can always upgrade accessories.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Finding a bow that fits well is the easy part. If you ever get past the fork in the road regarding bows I wish you luck on choosing arrows, fletching, mechanical/fixed/brand of broadheads, and release.

Don't get overwhelmed though as there usually is no absolute correct choice that has to be made. But there are choices that affect other choices. For example, the size of your fletching may affect your arrow flight if you choose to shoot fixed broadheads. Just take the advice you receive with caution and make the final choices yourself.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ando_31 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    CA your right! I went back and looked and that cam change rule happened December of 06... Posted for rules update year 2007, which is the rules we have today.
    I bought my bow 2006, and after I thought about it, my cam is adjustable from 65%-80%. I did have my bow changed that next fall when I had it serviced before the hunt, thats when they also changed my valley depth for me and I had a limb replaced that delamed.

My bow came with a tube peep, I had never had one before, and after about 1000 arrows later, two face slaps and a near eye loss, it went away too....I thought it was a novel idea, but they really suck. Tubeless peeps are way safer, and one less thing on the bow.
    I remember that day at the shop, and it was like getting a whole new bow back!
    I hunt because......

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    My bow came with a tube peep, I had never had one before, and after about 1000 arrows later, two face slaps and a near eye loss, it went away too....
    Sorry wolftalonID, I busted up laughing when I read that.

MM, I don't know if the pro shop you choose has multiple releases to try out too, but that might be something to look into. I bought my Diamond Iceman from that huntersfriend.com website and it came with a wrist release. I was struggling to pull my 65lbs bow with it, and shots were always sketchy. I switched to a T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Extreme that I really like. For me, the four finger release is easier to draw and I have a better, more consistent anchor point.

Just a thought..........

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post: