Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shock collars

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

shock collars

insight please???? the deer have started dropping sheds and im ready to take my dog up in hills but this will be his first season actualy looking for fresh naturraly dropped sheds and im nervous that when we bump wintering deer, and im sure we will, that he will take off after them. he is a well trained dog but he is at that 8month old stage where he has become a tad rebeliant. his first encounter with grouped up wild animals i want to be able to nip any bad behavior in the ass right away, sure i can use a leash but ill need him out infront of me way further than any leash i care to cary around. petco has a shock collar for 59$ way cheaper than the 300 400 $ ones ive seen and i dont plan to use it that often. anyone use these cheap petco ones? i havent found a bad review on them yet but i figured some of you good ole boys and gals might know a little something.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    No experience with the Petco ones. I'm not sure what brand mine is but it was a little spendy. Mine has a tone on it along with different levels of shock. I shocked him a few times followed by the tone at first. Now I only have to use the tone and can't remember the last time I had to use the shock. He hears that tone and knows right away what it means and comes right back. If I were you I'd find one of these so you don't have to shock him all the time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the sportdog brand and love it. I have two mixed labs. One is lab/shorthair pointer, the other is lab/moose(st bernard). The collar works wonders on them both.

I can even get them to be quiet by just putting it on them. They have no Idea when it is going to get em so they just sit nice and tiddy while wearing it. Works well on walks as well. Both will stay shoulder to my knee until I verbally release them to "GO PLAY" and they tear off after what ever I want.

One small nick on the remote and they both will retreat to my side immediately. I am blessed both are very obedient dogs to begin with, but the collar has been an absolute blessing in the woods where a leash is totally retarded.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the insight guys. and this one im looking at is called dog shock training collar, has beep. vibrate and the shock. maybe its worth spending the extra mula.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got a cheap one petsmart and the range was very short. Batteries didn't last long either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks KK, this says 900ft but we all know that usualy means squat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I use a dogtra fieldstar. It has a range of .5 miles. I use the nick on my lab and then after that I usually just have to use the vibrate and he will come back. I was contemplating on buying a cheap one but spent some money and am happy I did.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do not go cheap. You will get inconsistency which will do nothing for your dog but confuse him. You want a collar that will give a consistent level if stimulation so it can be useful as a training tool. Dogtra, tri-tronics, and Hawx have all been proven in my training groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    If I was using a collar to break a dog from chasing deer I would not yell or say a word. If the dog starts to chase hit him and see how he reacts. Dont say a word. Let him think the shock came from the deer. Be ready to turn up intensity. The more excited the pup is the more correction it may take to get result. You will have to figure out how much it will take to stop him. All dogs are different. as PSD said dont go cheap, Dogtra and SportDog are both good brands.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    do not buy a cheap unit. i used two cheap systems and it was miserable. i had each one less than six months. batteries die, if a dog gets over the hill they don't work... i've found the actual range is about half of what is advertised and that is under ideal conditions. I've been using a tri-tronics trashbreaker for the last 6 years and couldn't be happier.