Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shock collars

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've used tri-toniics for bird dogs that get out a cover ground. They make awesome collars that work well. I don't have much knowledge on the brand you are looking at but I've had good service on the ones I've had and they work well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i ended up with a dogtra, ive been happy with it. while out shed hunting the other day, the dog spotted some geese out in the field, he just pointed at at them and i just watched to see what he would do.... he comes from a good line of bird dogs mind you. i tried to distract him by telling him to find the bone, he took off like a bat out of hell towards those geese.... and adventualy i will use him as a bird dog but not right now and didnt want him to think the geese were bad but not listening to me was bad, so i gave the come back whistle and he didnt even look back so then i zapped and he turned his head and gave me a wth look then kept running, then i upped it and zapped again and he came darting back to me but acted like he was so confused. until i was able to get out of sight of the birds he kept his focus on the birds and only the birds pointing every time he stopped. maybey its time to add some bird training to his program????? he has the antler thing down solid but this will be his first season with fresh natural dropped sheds and i dont want to distract him from his main purpose. any feed back on that?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    and thank you for all the feed back on the collar

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You have to be careful with shock collars as there can possibly be unintended consequences. I've trained many hunting dogs with & without collars. Ideally you should start many weeks before you actually go in the field with the dog. Lots of good information here and remember they are "line of sight" just like any radio signal.

I've seen dogs that are so afraid of collars after they have been shocked that they just won't do anything until the collar is removed. Some just lay down and won't move. Start slow and use the least amount of power possible. The other suggestion I have is get one that is "waterproof" (as far as that goes). They should last longer if/when they get wet.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    I've used tri-toniics for bird dogs that get out a cover ground. They make awesome collars that work well. I don't have much knowledge on the brand you are looking at but I've had good service on the ones I've had and they work well.
    They make a great collar.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have a Sport dog and I'm on the fence with it. Batteries don't last very long. The tone is pretty load and I guess it's been working but I liked my old tri tronics better but it was discontinued. I use mine for obedience training and it works well. In the field it also works but with training a new pup it seems the battery craps out to soon.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've only used mine mainly to keep them from listening to the come back whistle. For the most part, an extended leash but typically I found once they get zapped once or twice they listen and I did not have to use it much in the rest of the season pointing birds and the older they get it's on just for insurance or in case but I rarely use it. I never wanted to use it when they were pointing birds. I did not want to shy they from pointing.

I have had to send mine in to get rebuilt, Tri-tronics offered that service. Putting them away for a season without giving them a charge now and then I had heard hurt the batteries but I'm not sure how the new ones are now.