Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have seen that Columbia has some electric gloves, that could be an idea for your hands.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clacklin009 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    If you're stand hunting, I think it's impossible to beat carhartts, layer with a really nice wool base layer, and then add some loft. Bass Pro's lifetime socks seem to keep me the warmest. Buy a pair of 1,000 gram thinsulate boots, and some of the boot blankets for when you're sitting still, and you should be good down to pretty darn cold. Not sure what to offer on the gloves, I usually just stick my hands in my pockets, sometimes I'll wear a light pair of UA gloves, if its down into the teens/low 20's.
    I second the carhartts. Or polar king I have both, when you have a-40 wind chill I haven't found anything warmer for the price anyways.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhoundman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Thermal cell electric insoles may be the way to go. when you are on the move you can turn them off and have them on when sitting, I'm a big fan of u/a gloves with a hand muff and three or four hand warmers going, and laying with wool and goose down.and light weight rain gear as wind breakers.also don't forget wool neck gaiter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to az.mountain runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the help so far. I'm hearing some brand names and ideas to do some research on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    You have to make sure you have big enough boots for the thermal cell insoles, I got my wife a pair for Christmas and they make the boots way to tight. I tried them in my boots and could barely get them on. If you have pac boots that are really big they may work.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    When its really cold I wear mittens with gloves for liners. The mittens keep my hands warmer then any gloves I have found and I still have the glove on if I have to take the mitten off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take a look at Mont*Bell for high-quality down parkas. If you really want warm, their Permafrost parka has 9 ounces of 800 fill-power goose down! For more all-around use, their Alpine Light Down parka is great, which is what I have, or for a little more down, look at the Mirage.

Another super-cold weather website to look at is Duluth Trading Co.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mittens are warmer than gloves. The pair i have has a liner built in and a slit that allows the portion that covers my fingers to slip out. Good pack boots and wool are hard to beat. I've hunted cold weather for years in carharts. The most important is your headwear because thats where you loose most of your heat. I typically wear a ballcap and then pull a stocking hat over the top. The brim of the ballcap keeps the stocking hat from falling down over by eyes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Make sure you keep your core warm, your body will open up more blood flow to your extremities, which will keep them warmer.

As several have mentioned, some type of rain gear - Goretex, Frogg Toggs, etc, keeps the wind off of you and forms an outer barrier. Insulation requires that the air in it isn't moving to work, so rain gear keeps the wind from circulating air through the insulation.

And, as others have mentioned, a pair of mittens that you can put over your gloves when you're sitting.

Another option is a handwarmer, tactical gear companies are starting to sell them (for Afghanistan), they hang around your neck or attach to a vest and are insulated, so you can stick your hands in them when need to.

Sierra Trading Post is good for picking up inexpensive gear, I picked up a bunch of merino wool (socks, long under, etc.) for dirt cheap. Sign up for their mailing list and you can get 70 and 80% off coupon codes for certain items and save some serious money.

The downside is that it's like a Ross for sporting goods (seconds, overstocks and oddball sizes), so it's hit miss finding things and once something is gone, it's gone.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site