Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Alot of good info here! I am wanting to start reloading and have been thinking about asking some of these questions as well. Mostly I want to reload some calibers that that are hard to find or very expensive to buy ammo for. .219 zipper, .32 remington, .32 s&w, .38 s&w, .38 s&w black powder, 32 s&w long, and 2 5/8'' 12 gauge black powder to start with. One question I have is are dies and shell holders standardized between different manufacturers or do you have to use the same make of dies and shell holders with the same make of press? I have been looking at Hornady presses but I can borrow an RCBS press to get started. Redding seems to make the most dies for the calibers I want to reload and they are generally cheaper then other makes.
    What type of shotgun are you using for the BP loads? I load a lot of 12 ga BP for my Cowboy Action shooting and can probably give you some info when I get my computer back in a couple of days.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Thanks CC! its a Winchester 1887 lever action with a 2 5/8 chamber. I would like to load with a black powder substitute.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have 2 RCBS loaders that I use several times a week. I have an RCBS Turret that is set up for pistol loading. I have separate turret plates set up for .38, .45 Colt, .9mm and 44 mag. I use the RCBS "Little Dandy" powder measure one each one of them. I also have a Rock Chukar that I use for all my rifle loading. I use the big electronic RCBS powder measure that stores all your load data. Use an old MEC 600 jr for shotgun. Been reloading for over 60 years and these do the job for me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks CC! its a Winchester 1887 lever action with a 2 5/8 chamber. I would like to load with a black powder substitute.
    You have several choices. I think you can rechamber it to shoot the 2 3/4 shells. You could also scrounge up some all brass cases and trim them to 2 5/8. They load great, once you get the technique down. I use them in my 10 ga. You could also get a roll crimp die and trim regular 2 3/4 plastic cases. I use sub (APP) and real BP (Goex), whichever I get the cheapest. Right now I am using FFG APP sub that I bought at the National Championship Cowboy Action shoot last year. I bought 2 cases (24#) for $15.00/#, no shipping or hazmat for this special. This year it is $17.00/#.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Couldnt I trim a regular plastic shell and use a standard crimper or would that not work? Could I use 777 fffg like I use in my ML or would that not be a good idea either? The only reloading I have ever done so far has been in my muzzleloader, so Im not quite sure what Im talking about here. lol I do want to start reloading though. Some of the somewhat obsolete calibers I have would pay for the reloading equipment pretty quickly compared to buying ammo for them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Couldnt I trim a regular plastic shell and use a standard crimper or would that not work? Could I use 777 fffg like I use in my ML or would that not be a good idea either? The only reloading I have ever done so far has been in my muzzleloader, so Im not quite sure what Im talking about here. lol I do want to start reloading though. Some of the somewhat obsolete calibers I have would pay for the reloading equipment pretty quickly compared to buying ammo for them.
    You could try to trim the plastic cases, but usually the "memory" in the plastic will not go below the original crimp. The recrimp will be pretty rough and might not chamber smoothly in your 87. The original 87s can be a bit picky about the ammunition they "like". I had one for awhile that was totally reworked by a gunsmith who specialized in tuning them for cowboy competition shooting. It was really hard to keep it shooting fast and I could only use Winchester AA shells. I shoot only SxS doubles now for competition. The other thing you have to careful about is the wads you use. The modern plastic wads will leave melted plastic in the barrel because the BP (& subs too) is really hot and the plastic wads melt when you shoot them. I only use fiber wads.

There is not a lot of difference between FF & FFF in shotguns, use what you have. If you think you can use some APP, I can find out the current pricing for you. Let me know if I can help out with advice and experience, as I have been shooting the "holy black" in competition for about 10 years now and have made my share of mistakes. Its lots of fun and the old stuff (and modern reproductions too) shoots pretty good once you learn it's quirks.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks CC! I hadnt thought about that in the crimp but it makes sense. I can get brass shells from buffalo arms co. I should go to their shop some time, they are only about 100 miles away from me. Are there any books you would recommend on shotgun reloading? I have the Hornady book and I have learned alot from it about rifle and pistol reloading but I dont have anything on shotguns.

Another question I have is are dies and shell holders standardized between different manufacturers or do you have to use the same make of dies and shell holders with the same make of press?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I started reloading 17 years ago in college with the lee kit and I still have it. Some guys like to pick on lee products but they work, and work well. Start with the lee kit and then you can upgrade things you don't like. I completely agree with the buy once cry once philosophy but the lee kit is so affordable you aren't wasting money if you decide to try different equipment. The knowledge gained from the hands on use of the lee kit is worth the cost. It is also good to have backs ups because things always seem to break the night before a big shooting match.

I still load my 1000 yd competition ammo on a lee single stage. The lee perfect powder measure is one of the best on the market. It is mainly plastic and flexes under use. I am sure some guys will reply with how cheap it feels, but compare it to almost any other powder measure by weighing charges and you will see it works very very well. The lee case trimmer works well for doing a few cases but is really hard on the hands when doing a big batch. However it works really well for setting up a dummy case to set the lathe style trimmer. The time saved trying to set up the lathe style trimmer will easily pay for the lee trimmer. It also works well when put in a drill press.

I am not stuck on lee products. The reality is all big name companies make pretty good stuff. The rest comes down to likes and dis-likes.
    I have a rcbs chargemaster and it is awesome. These are worth the investment if you are going to load a lot of longrange rifle rounds.

If you want some one-on-one help email me at jlmoeller@mchsi.com.

Jason Moeller

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks CC! I hadnt thought about that in the crimp but it makes sense. I can get brass shells from buffalo arms co. I should go to their shop some time, they are only about 100 miles away from me. Are there any books you would recommend on shotgun reloading? I have the Hornady book and I have learned alot from it about rifle and pistol reloading but I dont have anything on shotguns.

Another question I have is are dies and shell holders standardized between different manufacturers or do you have to use the same make of dies and shell holders with the same make of press?
    I wouldn't get too anxious about buying new brass from Buffalo as they are pretty pricey! I found all mine used at gun shows, yard sales and online. Lots of them around as they were used in Viet Nam in trench guns. I do have some good sources for good info on loading BP, as soon as I get my new computer (Thurs), I'll send you a few websites. Dies & shell holders are not all created equal! I don't mix brands as I have found some dimensional differences between brands.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buffalo is on the pricey side but they do have alot of oddball and obsolete stuff. What make of reloading equipment do you think has the best selection of dies for obsolete calibers? I have been looking at Hornady only because I like their ammo and they are the only company I am familiar with at all and their lock and load system looks interesting although I dont know if it would be a real advantage ot not? RCBS seems to have a better selection of dies and for some calibers like the 219 zipper Redding dies are much cheaper so thats why I was wondering if I could use redding dies in a Hornady or RCBS press. I have seen some RCBS JR2 presses used on ebay pretty reasonable. Would that be a good starter press or should I look at other models?