Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    I've made a few calls since I originally posted this morning and I think I will have access to a 4 wheeler. That sounds like that may be a nice addition just in case the weather turns for the worst. This is exactly why you do the research as I honestly had not considered taking a 4 wheeler(shame on me). With that being said, what are the rules as far as having the ATV on BLM land? I did a quick search and if I interpret it correctly are you supposed to stay on the designated roads/trails unless you are going to retrieve an animal?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    My experience is you stay on "established roads/trails". If there is a "road closed" marker, it's off-limits. Also, only public roadways (state highways, county roads, etc.) will allow you access through private property. If it's not a public roadway, and you're trying to access a block of public land through private property, you can be cited for trespassing if caught.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just use it instead of your truck when you get in a little ways and you should be fine. Spot some animals and start hiking. Most are road hunters so once you get over the first hill you're probably going to be alone. I've only seen one area where off road was allowed and that is in NM, a specific forest, and specific to game retrieval. I don't know of any BLM or state land that is open to unrestricted off roading.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I have hunted 74 for since the mid 80's. Was there in 2012 when my hunting buddy and I got 6 (2 does/1 buck each). The main N/S Co road (can't remember the # right off) is on the eastern edge of the unit. Lots of traffic on it, especially during the week from the oil & gas rig workers. Lots of Walk In area. If you drive on the existing roads/2 tracks...stay on them! We went 100' off one to get a doe with our 4 wheelers and could have got a citation for it, just got a warning from a warden. He said a worker at a drilling site called him.

In 2012 it was full on in the drought and the antelope numbers were way down from what I have experienced in the past. My guess was we saw about 1/2 as many animals as I would have expected. If you hunt this unit, my advice would be to stay away from opening weekend, all the locals hunt then. We hunted the second week of the season and saw no other hunters. Lots of BLM to camp on. I got a decent buck after passing up 50+ bucks, was 14.5 and probably in the mid 70's. My buddy shot a smaller one, his first goat. I did see an 80's buck AFTER I killed mine. I would definitely take a 4 wheeler (or 2), remember to get a Wyo sticker for it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    DABAU- I hunted unit 75 last year and did see quite a few antelope in the south eastern part of the unit just north of unit 74. +1 on all the comments about the roads. It started to rain and snow and I wished I had an ATV of some sort to use as it was difficult to travel on the non-paved roads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    DABAU---I recommended 75 over 74 because it's got a lot more area with good numbers goats and it spreads the hunters out better because of it's size.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Guys I appreciate all of the advice/input. I have a much better gameplan now and will definitely incorporate the 4 wheelers into my hunt. I had already planned on hunting the second week to let the crowds die down and it sounds like that is the best route to go. I'll have to do a little more research on the 4 wheelers and where you can drive them. Colorado Cowboy your comment about getting a warning has me a little perplexed. According to the Wyoming BLM website it states the following under their OHV Use page: "Limited vehicle travel off existing or designated roads and trails to accomplish "necessary tasks" such as campsite selection or big game retrieval is allowed only if travel does not cause resource damage, create new roads or extend existing roads. It is not always possible to retrieve downed game with a vehicle. Be prepared and bring a game cart, pack frame or horses to retrieve your game."

It's not really a big deal either way as we aren't talking about having to pack a 1,000 lb animal out but just like to know the exact rules. I'm going to call the field office tomorrow and see what they tell me.
    Last edited by DABAU; 02-03-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    When I was in that area 2 years ago I was there the first week in October and I saw very few other hunters anywhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The only bad thing about 74 and a few other area's out that way is quality has tanked in the past three years. Look at what they gave out for tags in 2011 and the last two seasons. Drought conditions and a few hard winters have knocked the antelope numbers down significantly. Two years ago they were saying 74 lost just over a quarter of its herd in one year. This winter has been pretty harsh and who knows what the spring will bring...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DABAU View Post
    Guys I appreciate all of the advice/input. I have a much better gameplan now and will definitely incorporate the 4 wheelers into my hunt. I had already planned on hunting the second week to let the crowds die down and it sounds like that is the best route to go. I'll have to do a little more research on the 4 wheelers and where you can drive them. Colorado Cowboy your comment about getting a warning has me a little perplexed. According to the Wyoming BLM website it states the following under their OHV Use page: "Limited vehicle travel off existing or designated roads and trails to accomplish "necessary tasks" such as campsite selection or big game retrieval is allowed only if travel does not cause resource damage, create new roads or extend existing roads. It is not always possible to retrieve downed game with a vehicle. Be prepared and bring a game cart, pack frame or horses to retrieve your game."

It's not really a big deal either way as we aren't talking about having to pack a 1,000 lb animal out but just like to know the exact rules. I'm going to call the field office tomorrow and see what they tell me.
    The area was designated as a "Walkin Area" by F & G, has nothing to do with BLM rules.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley