Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Winter and Antelope

A question for those who are familiar with the weather being experienced in Wyoming.....

What will the affects of this year's weather have on the antelope population?

Read in several places that there was a winter kill last year. Is this a concern for this year as well?

Thanks
    GR6

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider6 View Post
    A question for those who are familiar with the weather being experienced in Wyoming.....

What will the affects of this year's weather have on the antelope population?

Read in several places that there was a winter kill last year. Is this a concern for this year as well?

Thanks
    GR6
    Too early to tell. The winter has been about average, but there's a few months left and there's no telling what will happen. We can get a lot of snow in March/April. The G&F predicted that some deer/antelope would succumb to the winter last year, even though there was hardly a winter, because of the drought. They also may have underestimated the winterkill of 2010/11.
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 02-04-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 8 Posts
    Yep, late Winter/early Spring is when the deer and antelope will start feeling the effects, if any, and how they entered the winter months physically has an awful lot to do with their survival.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input.

I know here in Missouri our weather changes by the minute. I'm sure it does there as well.

How do they (antelope) react to severe weather? Is snow the concern and how it restricts food access or drought the major concern?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    GR6,

It really is too hard to tell at this point. It is the spring storms, in March and April that hammer our deer and antelope herds. So far, the winter has been pretty good, with good moisture, although it is -23 today with the wind. The Red Desert has seen significant die off and has been, very, very slow to come back. Those are areas in the 50s and 60s. The further North you get the better the antelope have done. The areas in the 90s have seen a very strong bounce back and the areas around Casper (Areas in the 70s) have been coming back nicely. Check out the MRS in the F/M issue for the real details on WY antelope. Good luck. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I would say both. The drought really effects the condition of the winter ranges and also the condition of the animals going into winter, get a tough winter on top of that and it can be pretty bad. When I was there in 12 there wasnt much for feed at all. The deer and antelope I saw were in pretty good shape but all the cows I saw were in pretty rough shape. I didnt hunt down there last year. The area I hunted north of there last year was still in drought. The buck I killed was in pretty good shape but the doe was on the thin side and I dont think she was too old.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you for the information.

Hope the spring is mild then.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    GR6,
    The areas in the 90s have seen a very strong bounce back and the areas around Casper (Areas in the 70s) have been coming back nicely.
    Apparently you have some different sources then the G&F as that's not what the biologists have been saying at the last two spring meetings regarding the Casper areas. As for the winter around here, we've been getting hit with more frequent snow storms then what I ever remember in past years. West of Casper, has had hard crunchy snow on the ground almost all winter. If we have a tough spring, I'm betting the G&F will be cutting tags back even more than what they've done the past two years...
    Last edited by Triple BB; 02-04-2014 at 01:29 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Triple BB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Tripple BB,its always good to hear from someone that has a good read on whats happening.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't know about the rest of the state but here in western WY winter didn't start until 2 weeks ago. Until then the snow was ankle deep in the valleys and lots of open hillsides. We've had a couple big snows since then but nothing really exceptional. It's about 2' - 2 1/2' deep now. There's a lot of winter left and it could go either way. I know better than to predict the weather around here but so far the animals in this part of the state should have done well.
    Last year we had the mildest winter I can remember. Normal snow depth at my last house was 48"-50" over the 15 years I lived there (I moved this summer). Last year we had maybe 24" (didn't bother to measure). In fact the past 2 winters were both mild, snow depth this year is about normal.