Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    Sdebrot & Musket Man, how many points do you guys have?
    I have 3, would like to use them at around 5 but havent found a good place for that yet so I may end up saving more.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sdebrot & Musket Man, how many points do you guys have?
    I am sitting on 7, with my buddy having 3. I screwed up last year and forgot to buy a point eliminating me from being at the top of the pile for those real stellar units. Figured I might as well include him and we would average out at 5. It's enough points to draw most other units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdebrot View Post
    Just got off the phone with a game warden for area 34 and his report was less then stellar. His suggestion was to keep building points due to the last few years of lousy weather. Which is pretty much what the advice in the MRS section of Eastman's magazine is suggesting. Just hate the thought of donating more money to Wyoming. All this point building in various states gets expensive after a while.
    I can't think of a better way to spend money!!! I am cashing in points and buying the special tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
    I can't think of a better way to spend money!!! I am cashing in points and buying the special tag!
    The best thing you can do IMO is pick an area with good public land, decent numbers of deer and success, and go hunting. There's not going to be a "better time" unless you are referring to your personal schedule. This point hype is out of hand. . .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got off the phone with a game warden for area 34 and his report was less then stellar. His suggestion was to keep building points due to the last few years of lousy weather. Which is pretty much what the advice in the MRS section of Eastman's magazine is suggesting.
    I think alot of guys are doing this the last few years and many are buying points without entering the draw. Some drawing odds may get alot worse when the deer situation starts to improve and they start entering the draws.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Any of you guys hunted Region G before? I know it's a well known unit and a lot have hunted it or at least heard about it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted it twice. Just put in for the "special tag" this morning with 2 points, Last year it was a 70 % draw. Both times I hunted there it kicked my butt and I swore I would not go back but the big bucks and beautiful country give me amnesia. 2 years ago I saw about a dozen 4 pts including one 180 buck. Of course he was the only one I wasn't ready for and in range! I have had the best luck going in where there are no trailheads which you can see pretty easily because of horse trailers parked there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got off the phone with a game warden for area 34 and his report was less then stellar. His suggestion was to keep building points due to the last few years of lousy weather. Which is pretty much what the advice in the MRS section of Eastman's magazine is suggesting. Just hate the thought of donating more money to Wyoming. All this point building in various states gets expensive after a while.
    Yeesh... You know its bad when even the state employees don't try to paint the picture in a positive light.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Any of you guys hunted Region G before? I know it's a well known unit and a lot have hunted it or at least heard about it.
    My first hunt out west was in region G, it was the start of an addiction to hunting the mountains. However it was back in 1991 and I wouldn't be much help in advice for the area. I can tell you that I saw plenty of deer, elk and one big mountain lion at ten paces. I ended up getting the itchy trigger finger and shot a buck that while big for a Michigan boy wasn't much of a deer by western standards. My hunting partner shot a super nice 4 by 4 with a 26 inch spread. Trust me that is a rough 1500 mile ride home looking at what you should have waited for. One thing I remember real well about it was it was some rough country with some very steep slopes. I was lucky that I had horse power to get to the top, you might want to look into horses or be in really good shape if you go. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is the rough steep country in G fairly open so you can glass it pretty well or are there alot of trees and cover?