Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Is the rough steep country in G fairly open so you can glass it pretty well or are there alot of trees and cover?
    The area I was in was pretty open with patches of dark timber on the north slopes. Most of the deer were seen in the open, however I was on a guided hunt and the guide would do little deer drives by going into the timber during mid day. That was how I got my buck, they really do look a lot bigger when they are running, ha, ha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdebrot View Post
    The area I was in was pretty open with patches of dark timber on the north slopes. Most of the deer were seen in the open, however I was on a guided hunt and the guide would do little deer drives by going into the timber during mid day. That was how I got my buck, they really do look a lot bigger when they are running, ha, ha.
    Thanks for the info! I havent been to that part of WY yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "I am sitting on 7, with my buddy having 3. I screwed up last year and forgot to buy a point eliminating me from being at the top of the pile for those real stellar units. Figured I might as well include him and we would average out at 5. It's enough points to draw most other units."

Sdebrot-
    I did the same thing...forgot to put in for a point in 2006, and was under the impression I had max points until last year. That one point knocks you out of competition for just about all the top units for a long time. Did the same thing with elk too. Dang it all!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is the rough steep country in G fairly open so you can glass it pretty well or are there alot of trees and cover?
    My wife's family camps up the Greys every summer for a week, and I've been up there a dozen times now since marrying my wife. One of these days I'm actually going to hunt it. There are plenty of open areas to glass - just depends on where you are. Plenty of thick stuff too, but it's nothing like the ID panhandle or Pacific Northwest.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I forgot to buy a point for elk a couple years ago too. Kept thinking I had lots of time and would do it later and then I realized it was October. Now I make sure to buy them in July! lol Im no where close to having max points and Im not chasing units that take alot of points so Im sure it was alot more painful for you guys but I may end up applying in a different unit because of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wanted to hunt Unit 90, but with less than max points, that's pretty much a pipe dream for a LONG time now. Looks like it will be a different unit in the future. I'll be buying another point since I can't hunt WY this year due to money/time, AND the fact that I should pull an LE Muzz tag for elk here in UT. If I do that, it will take up the majority of my available time this fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    I wanted to hunt Unit 90, but with less than max points, that's pretty much a pipe dream for a LONG time now. Looks like it will be a different unit in the future. I'll be buying another point since I can't hunt WY this year due to money/time, AND the fact that I should pull an LE Muzz tag for elk here in UT. If I do that, it will take up the majority of my available time this fall.
    I was saving points to hunt area 102. There is no way I'm going to keep that up until everybody with one point greater has used there's up. To much money and too much time, figured this year was a good one to burn them up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some of the point creep is from tags being reduced in alot of areas. Hopefully things will get better the next few years and there will be more tags and slow down the point creep.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    There are plenty of places in G that you can glass for miles. Everything from high country timber patch basins to lower country sage brush. One of the most beautiful places to hunt in the west! I guess that's why it's so popular.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mattdeere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As the time gets closer to putting in my buddy and I are leaning towards area 37. Both the biologist and the warden gave a good report on the area and I like the odds of success for the area. Even if half the unit is private there still is a lot of public hunting area left. Anybody have any reason that 37 would be a bad choice?