Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    The MT draw was hard for me to figure out, not sure if I got it figured out right now to be honest. Thats why I am leaning towards the pricey combo tag (which we dont need), but then again that is more than we would spend in gas!

I am going to contact them tomorrow as well to ask some specific application questions. For example; my grandfather is a disabled american vet and i am curious if MT disabled license applies to non residents too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I have looked into disabled vet discounts in a couple states since I am a disabled vet and everything I have seen is they are only for residents. I would apply for the deer only license and if for some reason you dont draw it Im sure there will be leftover elk/deer combo licenses and you could buy one after the draw. They have had them leftover every year since they raised their prices and the # of leftovers seems to increase each year. No sense giving them money you dont have to. IMO its way over priced already and it most of why I have stopped hunting MT. What else are you not sure you understand about the draw?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Musket
    Say you want to hunt one of their limited entry units sometime in the future 5-10 years... Do you purchase just the points each year and then down the road buy a license and hope you draw a limited entry area at that time. After reading the new mrs and Montana website I couldn't seem to understand the draw stats for the high demand limited entry areas.
    What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I assume after you draw either a general deer tag or the elk/deer combo that is all you need right?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    I assume after you draw either a general deer tag or the elk/deer combo that is all you need right?
    Yes, you dont need anything else, its all included with the license and you can hunt any general unit in the state

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyhunter View Post
    Musket
    Say you want to hunt one of their limited entry units sometime in the future 5-10 years... Do you purchase just the points each year and then down the road buy a license and hope you draw a limited entry area at that time. After reading the new mrs and Montana website I couldn't seem to understand the draw stats for the high demand limited entry areas.
    What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It used to be you had to draw a general license to apply for a LE tag or get a point but they changed it recently so you can get a point without buying a general license. The way I understood what I ran across when I was looking for the drawing odds today was you can buy a point similar to the WY system. Honestly I would stay away from MT all together unless you are going to hunt in the general hunts. Some LE tags can be good but the drawing odds are generally very low and IMO between the wolves, deer and antelope being way down in alot of eastern MT and the odds of drawing a LE tag being so low, you would be alot better off investing your time and money in other states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Some of the best hunting in the state is still in general districts.

As far as weather, that time of the year is pretty nice in SE MT. I wouldn't expect it to get colder than -20 or hotter than 95. As long as you are prepared for wildfire, drought, flood, rain, sleet, snow, ice, gumbo, or concrete-like drifts, you should be fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB that pretty much describes eastern MT! But I dont think it will get above 85 in November If it gets much snow or rain I would pray that it stays well bellow freezing! When it starts to thaw your feet will weigh 80 pounds each in 3 steps!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    Thinking about taking my grandfather to MT unit 705 this fall. It will be a private ranch mostly.

I am thinking about going around Nov 15, so here are my questions/concerns;

1.) What could I suspect for weather? I know its a crap shoot guess, but historically would we be OK? Our dates are flexible for the most part as long as no other hunters are out we might be able to change at the last minute.

2.) Mainly looking for mulies, but a good whitetail is not out of the questions. So, are the mule deer starting to rut and hang out with the doe groups good this time of the month or would we be early? late?

One other thing, does anyone know the draw odds for the general deer tag and the landowner sponsored tag (if those odds are on their website, then I cannot find them anywhere)? I know its a safe bet to apply for the combo, but $976 will take a chunk of change away from the overall spending of the trip and we will be nowhere near a elk.

I've been to SE MT 3 out of the last 5 years. I'd say your just about right for muleys, with the whitetails being at least 10 days later from what we've seen and heard from the folks that live there! We've been going the first or second week in Nov. and it seems like that second week things start to get fired up just a little.(muleys)
    There was leftover deer combos last year for a short time and the elk/deer combos were available almost up until season because of the big price hike a few years ago.
    We've also had good luck with weather and roads the first two weeks, but have been told it was just that, LUCK.
    I didn't get to go last year, but a few of the guys on this forum that have great info, have said that the previous winters topped by the recent EHD outbreak has the deer and antelope numbers way down!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    I picked up a leftover deer combo two years ago. I did not apply during the draw. I believe there were a few hundred left over. This would have been the 2012 season.