Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainsHunter View Post
    I don't understand why they don't publish the deer combo drawing odds. Seems strange to me.
    Me either and they completely avoided the question in my emails with them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Do you know of anywhere you can actually look up any of the general draw stats? I quit hunting MT when they raised the prices, I would love to hunt eastern MT again but its just to much money to me rightnow. Anyways i was trying to help these guys with figuring out the draw odds. I emailed FPW and all they could tell me was, the odds for the deer only combo was 100% last year, they are not on their web site anywhere, and they could not break down the drawing as to tag quota, applicants, leftover tags, ect, and they declined to give me any explanation as to why these stats are not available. There has got to be some where you can see these stats. I understand it was 100% last year but weather there was 1 tag or 1/2 the tags leftover last year could make a big difference to a guy applying that wants to be sure to draw a tag and is trying to decide weather to put in for a deer only tag or the deer/elk combo that he definitely would draw.
    Musket, MT FWP doesn't post them online as you figured out, however, I have the stats from my contact at FWP. I am not sure why they don't give them out, they give me them every year for my articles, if you want I can email them to you. I assume they don't post them because the overall demand doesn't justify it, and with the recent surplus license issues I would guess they don't want to show their hand for fear of more pressure to reduce license fees from the general public. Last year the quota for general deer combos was 7,781 and their were only 6,186 first choice applicants leaving 1,595 surplus licenses. I don't have all of the years, but I am sure I can get previous years if you guys want them. I believe that 2012 had roughly 85% draw odds for general deer combos. I will double check.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Breshears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Breshears View Post
    Musket, MT FWP doesn't post them online as you figured out, however, I have the stats from my contact at FWP. I am not sure why they don't give them out, they give me them every year for my articles, if you want I can email them to you. I assume they don't post them because the overall demand doesn't justify it, and with the recent surplus license issues I would guess they don't want to show their hand for fear of more pressure to reduce license fees from the general public. Last year the quota for general deer combos was 7,781 and their were only 6,186 first choice applicants leaving 1,595 surplus licenses. I don't have all of the years, but I am sure I can get previous years if you guys want them. I believe that 2012 had roughly 85% draw odds for general deer combos. I will double check.
    Thanks for the info! I believe what you posted is what we were looking for. I was thinking maybe they werent posting the odds because they are worried about people seeing them and not applying or applying for the deer/elk combo when they just want to hunt deer thinking they have a better chance at drawing. What ever their reason is I believe they should post them and hunters applying for tags have a right to know what the odds have been the last few years. I asked FWP why they were not available in their web site and why they could not break down the general draws for me and they completely avoided the question.

I know there have been some changes to the LE draws in the last few years. Can you please clarify the current regs on that and if you still have to buy a general license to apply for points for LE hunts? Thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I was all prepared to give advise but everyone here has covered it all and is spot on...

Nice work everyone

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 2 Posts
    Yes, it is such a great forum. People are so willing and generous to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Well I was all prepared to give advise but everyone here has covered it all and is spot on...

Nice work everyone
    Everyone did do a great job! However, if you could choose anytime in Nov when would you go?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    Everyone did do a great job! However, if you could choose anytime in Nov when would you go?
    I would go the third week.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    It used to be you had to draw a general license to apply for a LE tag or get a point but they changed it recently so you can get a point without buying a general license. The way I understood what I ran across when I was looking for the drawing odds today was you can buy a point similar to the WY system. Honestly I would stay away from MT all together unless you are going to hunt in the general hunts. Some LE tags can be good but the drawing odds are generally very low and IMO between the wolves, deer and antelope being way down in alot of eastern MT and the odds of drawing a LE tag being so low, you would be alot better off investing your time and money in other states.
    Musket,

I may be wrong but I believe the only points you can buy for deer or elk is for the general nonresident licenses. Any LE or "Special Draw" as MT likes to call it, has to be applied for at the same time you apply for the combo license. And IF you do not draw the combo license (meaning you are unsuccessful) then you will still get a point towards your LE hunt choice. Does that make sense? I won't go to the bank on it, but I am pretty sure this is how MT works. I will double check my notes and let you guys know for sure tonight or tomorrow.
    Last edited by Breshears; 02-06-2014 at 04:59 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Breshears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Breshears View Post
    Musket,

I may be wrong but I believe the only points you can buy for deer or elk is for the general nonresident licenses. Any LE or "Special Draw" as MT likes to call it, has to be applied for at the same time you apply for the combo license. And IF you do not draw the combo license (meaning you are unsuccessful) then you will still get a point towards your LE hunt choice. Does that make sense? I won't go to the bank on it, but I am pretty sure this is how MT works. I will double check my notes and let you guys know for sure tonight or tomorrow.
    Thanks! I was looking on the MT site and saw where you can buy a point and I took it to mean it was for LE points too when it was only for the general draws and I think that is what started the confusion. I believe your info is correct. I think the biggest question and where this part of the discussion started is is there a way for a nonresident to get LE points without having to pay for a general combo license?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Exactly musket

Is there a way for a nonresident to get limited entry points without buying a general combo license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk