Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Nothing wrong with those pics! Dont worry they dont have to be magazine quality for this thread. lol Thats a really nice bull!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 5 Posts
    Sure is fun reading these stories guys thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I don't have any for ya. Hopefully within the next couple years I'll get back out west. Hopefully it's not a tag soup story, but if it is I will dam sure share it with you. That's why they call it hunting not killing!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe I should start hunting Minnesota if you never have tag soup there! lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Maybe I should start hunting Minnesota if you never have tag soup there! lol
    Lol!! Guess I always think about out west, all we get to do is chase around whitetail here, get one tag and 4months to do it so I usually find something to shoot at, but I have had tag soup here. But sometimes we get picky, so it's my own fault.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You should post some of your tag soup, most of us have never tasted Minnesota tag soup before!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 2 Posts
    I ate 4 tags this year on a license with 5. They taste a lot better with chicken fried deer steaks and gravy for a side dish

Okay, I honestly did eat 1 of my buck tags. I had 1 particular buck picked out to shoot and I failed to deliver. I haven't seen hide not hair of that deer since late August. Oh well, time to fill that 28" bull red tag.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I ate tag soup this year on all my tags. spring turkey, fall turkey and whitetail hunting. I had great experiences with all of my hunts.

My spring turkey hunt was very exciting. My hunt was from may 14 through May 31. The first two days of the hunting season were raining heavy so stayed in. The third day I finally could go out after work. I went home and got my stuff together and head out to a field I had heard turkeys in earlier that week. I slowly stalked into a small set of trees that were at the top of the hill that peaked in the middle of the field and set up on the ground. Had my decoy roughly 25 yards away. I started a few calls and waited 5 minutes, called again and waited, and then called again and heard a gobble. Roughly 200 yards off there was a big tom coming in. He was coming in quick and occasionally would stop to strut. I called again and he kept coming in. Then he hung up at 100 yards kept struting but wouldn't come any closer. Finally he walked back in the woods and circled all around me responding to calls but never showed himself again. The very next day I went back to the same location and tried to sneak to the same spot. Unfortunately when i peaked the top of the hill there was 5 turkeys at the bottom of the hill. They scattered 4 in one direction and then the other one took off the opposite direction. I set up my blind and waited. I hen that went her own way ended up wandering around the field for awhile and then went the same direction as the rest of the flock. There were no more encounters with turkeys but I had a really cool encounter later that night with some deer behind me. here's a short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJMfJ...ature=youtu.be The video isn't great really shaky cause I had to free hand the camera, they were behind me so i was all turned around and the sun was behind them. I never end up getting back on the birds after these two days.

My fall deer and turkey hunting pretty much go hand in hand. Turkey runs mid September to mid November and bow season for deer October to mid November with gun season starting up after those two end. During the being of bow season I had a close encounter with 3 does that at the time I didn't realize it would be the only deer I had a chance at all year. The does came in to about 50 yards I was not comfortable with that shot since i was still new to bow hunting. 2 of the does ran off but the other one stayed and walked in closer as i stalked toward it. I got to 30 yards and waited for a broadside shot. She turned and I drew then noticed I had a limb covering her vitals and had to hold. Finally I had to release and hope she would take a few more steps. No such luck she turned and ran off to follow her friends.

During gun season I saw one doe and that was a wounded deer that came and expired in the field we were sitting in. I helped the guys find it in the field and drag it to the road. I was hoping to see a good amount of deer during gun season but we didn't. I wasn't able to get to the locations further in away from other hunter that I would normally do cause I had my father with me. My dad has always been hunting since i can remember and this year was the first time he wasn't going to be able to go with us. He had Rotator Cup surgery 6 weeks before the season and the doctors told him he could not shoot and had to be in a sling. They really wanted him to stay home and relax but he was getting really bored not being able to do anything but sit there. So I talked them into letting him come to deer camp and sit in the blind with me. They had to stipulations not a lot of walking (fear of falling) and he had to stay in the sling. the sling made it interesting for getting him in and out of the blind and sitting in the blind together. I still say the deer season was successful since i got to spend time with my dad in the blind and let him get out of the house to enjoy the outdoors even if he couldn't shoot.

The one cool thing that did happen during gun season was I had a huge tom walk around my blind a yard away almost sticking his head in my blind a few times. That was a cool experience to share with my dad.

So Yeah it was tag soup but it was as good as it could get.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to marcusvdk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    marcusvdk, Its awesome that you were able to get your dad out there with you while he was recovering from surgery! Great story and definitely something different from our experiences out west! Do you have any pics you can post? I have never been to Michigan.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer 2010 4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	7872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer 2011 Buck 7 Point 3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	7873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first deer.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	7874

The buck I got In 2011, The doe in the tree was 2010, and the doe at our hunting camp was my first deer ever in 2008

12. The Following User Says Thank You to marcusvdk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-31-12 (2).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	7875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-31-12 (3).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.7 KB