Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ouch UH! Only 1 year behind and it will be 35 years before a guaranteed sheep tag. Maybe you will get it before then. I don't think it's very likely that I will draw an antelope tag or sheep tag but I think I will continue to apply. As long as the antelope application remains below $20 I will continue to apply in hope of drawing in the random. I will definitely continue with sheep. I will never be able to hunt desert bighorns in Mexico so AZ and NV seem to be my only small chance.

Thanks for the opinions everyone, If I'm going buy the license what's another $15 for a chance.

WapitiBob I didn't look at the archery hunts. That's good about the separate reports but why 2016? That's a really slow IT department! Do you have any idea what the proposed changes will be? Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How old are you?

AZ antelope is definitely a long term goal/plan! if ever/never sort of thing. In fact I'm quite certain the odds are easier to draw a desert bighorn sheep tag in AZ than a AZ antelope.

one thing to strongly consider if you want an AZ antelope is to try for bow... better odds.

if you simply want a big antelope, consider booking a hunt somewhere or just try to draw NM, WY etc...

I'd almost say forget AZ antelope if I was you, you could always just buy points, but if all you want is a big antelope, there are easier better options out there... NM, WY, NV, CO etc...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The dept is re writing some of their computer code and the report changes that have been asked for, repeatedly, are always being moved back. The dept head that I speak with said it wouldn't be done for 2015, probable for 2016. I plan to send a letter to the Commission asking them to compel the Dept to make the changes to the draw report noted above so that we, the consumers of their product, will be better equipped to make rational comments during the rules comment period, and also make thoughtful draw choice decisions when the changes are implemented.
    Yes I know the change that is being proposed. The Rules process will start early April and we'll be discussing it here shortly after.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    How old are you?

AZ antelope is definitely a long term goal/plan! if ever/never sort of thing. In fact I'm quite certain the odds are easier to draw a desert bighorn sheep tag in AZ than a AZ antelope.

I'd almost say forget AZ antelope if I was you, you could always just buy points, but if all you want is a big antelope, there are easier better options out there... NM, WY, NV, CO etc...
    I just turned 33 last month. It is definitely not easier to draw sheep than antelope. Looking at the odds at the 10 point level. Antelope archery: the odds range from 4.2%-100% with about a 15% average (It took 10-17 points to guarantee a tag). Antelope muzzleloader: the odds range from 3.2%-5.5% with about a 4% average (It took 19-21 points to guarantee a tag). Antelope rifle: 0-4% odds with about a 2% average (It took 19-23 points to guarantee a tag).

Sheep odds at the 10 point level 0-1.9% odds with about 0.9% average (It took 24 points to even be eligible for the bonus point pass but it didn't guarantee a tag)

I've never even hunted antelope but I will soon when I cash in my points in Wyoming. I just know how it is with deer. The first few trips you just want a good representative animal for the area. In later trips I want to raise the standard and one day have the chance to hunt a true trophy. I'm just getting started in the points game for the west and I don't want to get farther behind the curve. I don't mind a long wait especially for antelope because most antelope hunts seem low impact that I will be able to continue to do even when I'm a bit older. I'm applying in NV and WY for antelope, but I never really considered CO a great state for them. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks WapitiBob. Keep us updated on the changes.

What would you guys consider the top 5 states to get a trophy antelope?
    Last edited by Alabama; 02-09-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Who's calculating those Antelope odds? They're not even close to accurate for a NR.
    Last edited by WapitiBob; 02-09-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Who's calculating those Antelope odds? They're not even close to accurate for a NR.
    Those are the odds off of hunters trailhead. I look at the AZ G&F dept for the units I apply for but it's too difficult to break down for all the units. Are the odds much worse than that?

Do you break it down unit by unit from AZG&F dept or another service?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got my app submitted. Will be up to 19, but it's just a throw-in since I have to buy license. I never expect to draw. I think I'd be targeting New Mexico if a guy is serious about taking a big lope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As a NR you are competing directly with the resident but have an artificial cap imposed. In my mind, you have to look at the overall odds, res+ nr since we're all in the same pool, then look at the NR pool vs the NR tags. The unknown is the point level of the applicants and their weighted odds because of the bonus points.

A few Antelope archery numbers

unit 1 30 tags, 6 tags issued in bonus pass, 0 to NR, 377 apps remaining for 1-2 pass, 7 are NR.

unit 3a 10 tags, 2 tags issued, 0 to NR, 96 apps remaining, 2 are NR

unit 3bs 5 tags, 1 tag issued, 0 to NR, 77 apps remaining, 1 is NR

unit 4b 15 tags, 3 tags issued, 0 to NR, 170 apps remaining, 3 are NR

unit 10 65 tags, 13 issued, 6 to NR, 700 apps remaining, 142 are NR but the is quota filled

unit 18a 10 tags, 2 issued, 0 to NR, 153 apps remaining, 10 are NR

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    As a NR you are competing directly with the resident but have an artificial cap imposed. In my mind, you have to look at the overall odds, res+ nr since we're all in the same pool, then look at the NR pool vs the NR tags. The unknown is the point level of the applicants and their weighted odds because of the bonus points.

A few Antelope archery numbers

unit 1 30 tags, 6 tags issued in bonus pass, 0 to NR, 377 apps remaining for 1-2 pass, 7 are NR.

unit 3a 10 tags, 2 tags issued, 0 to NR, 96 apps remaining, 2 are NR

unit 3bs 5 tags, 1 tag issued, 0 to NR, 77 apps remaining, 1 is NR

unit 4b 15 tags, 3 tags issued, 0 to NR, 170 apps remaining, 3 are NR

unit 10 65 tags, 13 issued, 6 to NR, 700 apps remaining, 142 are NR but the is quota filled

unit 18a 10 tags, 2 issued, 0 to NR, 153 apps remaining, 10 are NR

I've been trying to decide between 3 different units. I know they weren't filled in the bonus pass last year. I think now I'll just flip a coin and say the hell with it. My head is about to explode and this is the first application of the year for me. AZ sure makes it difficult to understand the true odds for a non-resident.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just look at it like I do, it will be my retirement hunts! If I never draw then my money went back into the wildlife!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member