Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hunting with a dog

I haven't really lookt yet but I thought I would through it out there. Is it legal in Wyoming to have a dog with you while you pursue or take game. I have a little terrier dog I like to accompany me while I hunt, she doesn't necessarily hunt deer and I wouldn't be pursuing deer with dogs. She chases squirrels and rodents and birds but never really gets past 50 yards. Am I pushin it just by takin a dog deer hunting or is definitely against the law to have a dog with you while hunting deer. Just curious.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Beyond the legal aspects, I can't even imagine having a dog hunt deer, elk or antelope hunt with me. Every dog I've ever had will react to the scent of a deer or elk. Also what about when it decides to chase a squirrel when you finally see that once-in-a-lifetime 195" buck and you are trying to lay low.

You have issues with the dog's scent. The dog's added movement is a detriment, since deer and elk pick up movement like crazy. There is the added noise of a dog that likes to bounce around checking scents.

The one thing I have seen a dog useful for in big game hunting is hounds for bear and lion or a dog to track a wounded animal.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-05-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is under the "It's illegal to" portion of all big & trophy game regulations....

Use any dog to hunt, run or harass any big or trophy game animal, protected animal or
    furbearing animal except as otherwise provided by statute.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I always have my dog with me when I'm hunting deer. She is quite and is my good luck charm. It never a cured to me it could be illegal.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IKIC, definitely illegal in NV and you can not use a dog to track a wounded animal. My cousin did this, so I contacted NDOW to see if it was legal and it is not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Years ago I used to take my german short hair when muley bow hunting in the canyons here in Nebraska. Reason being if a mule deer sees you from afar they would always spook or at least relocate even if they see you from a mile or more away. With the dog with you they seemed to focus on the dog and I could move slowly to the next canyon without them spooking or relocating. They would settle down and stay bedded usually. They never stay bedded otherwise. I always thought that they were used to seeing coyotes move by didn't seem concerned as long as they weren't directly pressuring them. Not sure on that though, just a guess. It almost seemed like I was invisible to the deer if I had a dog with me as long as I was 400 yards or more away. She was great company also and if trained well I never had a problem even during the final stalk. I had her trained to follow very close behind during the final stalk. I never did use her to hunt or track deer so I didn't think I was breaking the law.
    Last edited by NE69; 02-05-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    IKIC, definitely illegal in NV and you can not use a dog to track a wounded animal. My cousin did this, so I contacted NDOW to see if it was legal and it is not.
    No kidding?! Well that sucks.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the responses. The dog wouldn't be hunting, pursuing, taking game; I would be hunting, pursuing, and hopefully taking game with the dog as a companion. Its splittin hairs I know, so better safe than sorry, she will have to stay at home.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I heard, I have a little corgi that hunts (hikes) with me all the time...he loves waterfowl and squirrels but is pretty good at stay by my feet. Taking him on a few yote hunts this year!