Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Preference Point/Special Draw ??

I currently have 4 PPs for Deer. When I submit my application for tags next week, do I go into the draw with 5 points, or 4 points? Looking at the MRS, that makes a pretty big difference especially if submitting in the special draw.

Would area 89 be worth putting in for special draw with an 83% chance at drawing? Asuming I would have 5 PPs?

Thanks for all the help I have been recieving on here....great bunch of people on this forum!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    You will have 4 points going into the draw. You do not earn a point until after the draw. Unit 89 also has point creep, where it takes about 1 more point to draw each year, so it will most likely take in the 5.5 to 6 point range to draw this year with in the special draw. You would likely have about a 5% chance to draw in the random draw.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    You go in with 4, if unsuccessful you will accumulate one and have 5 for next year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys, I couldn't wrap my head around that. 2 guys in my group are having doubts that they will come back after this trip and want to use our PPs. I want to keep them. So if we are using them I at least want to apply for a good unit.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If a hunter pays the preference point fee in the draw application AND is successful in the draw what happens to the $40 for the point?
    They wouldn't have a point for next year? Would that point fee be refunded?
    Seems like you should wait to buy the preference point in summer IF you think you'll draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I think I see what cobb is thinking of here. In a bonus point system like Nevada you are entered in the draw for each of your points plus you get 1 entry for this years application. In the Nv system your points are squared so you would be entered that number of times plus 1 more time for your current application so your application does not carry as much weight as a point but it does give you 1 additional chance to draw that year. Wy is what I call a modified preference point system where I think 75% of the tags go to the highest point holders and 25% are randomly drawn by all applicants that have not drawn yet. If you dont draw you gain another point and that is the amount of points you would go into next years draw with.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My question was pertaining to Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good question KY hunter....I'm not sure of the answer to that.

And yea MM, that's exactly what I was getting at.

"I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also....what if I apply for the special draw and do not draw my LE unit. Is my 2nd choice boosted by my special draw tag as well? I know PPs don't count on the 2nd choice.

And if you don't draw by buying the special tag, do you get refunded the difference in price?

- Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyhunter View Post
    If a hunter pays the preference point fee in the draw application AND is successful in the draw what happens to the $40 for the point?
    They wouldn't have a point for next year? Would that point fee be refunded?
    Seems like you should wait to buy the preference point in summer IF you think you'll draw?
    If I recall correctly, you are sent a refund check for the preference point fee.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post: