Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts

SE Montana Rut/Nov weather

Thinking about taking my grandfather to MT unit 705 this fall. It will be a private ranch mostly.

I am thinking about going around Nov 15, so here are my questions/concerns;

1.) What could I suspect for weather? I know its a crap shoot guess, but historically would we be OK? Our dates are flexible for the most part as long as no other hunters are out we might be able to change at the last minute.

2.) Mainly looking for mulies, but a good whitetail is not out of the questions. So, are the mule deer starting to rut and hang out with the doe groups good this time of the month or would we be early? late?

One other thing, does anyone know the draw odds for the general deer tag and the landowner sponsored tag (if those odds are on their website, then I cannot find them anywhere)? I know its a safe bet to apply for the combo, but $976 will take a chunk of change away from the overall spending of the trip and we will be nowhere near a elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The weather can really vary widely. Could have sunny and 50 degrees or snow and below 0. If it's "normal" I'd say highs in the 30's and lows in the teens overnight. That is a bit of a guess though as I grew up farther to the north in ND. Will you be in a wall tent or maybe staying at the ranch you mentioned?

Last year their were leftover deer tags up until maybe September or so.... Can't quite remember when they finally sold out but their were leftover tags for quite some time after the draw.

By early to mid-November the mule deer should definitely be rutting although I've heard a few guys say that the later in November the better.

Are you going to get the elk/deer combo tag or just the deer? The deer tag only is about $560 or so.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have hunted SE MT in the past around Nov 15 and did see many bucks that were follwing does. This last year I was in MT the first few days of Nov and did not see any rutting activity. Temps have been between -5F and 60F while I was out there. I'd say as far as rutting activity- the middle of Nov should be pretty good. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Yeah…I have also heard there have been leftover deer tags since they raised the tag fees a couple years ago. I would hunt as close to Thanksgiving as possible for the best hunting though the time we went to SE Montana was about when you plan to be there and we had a great hunt.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    There have been leftover deer/elk combo tags since they raised the price but I dont think there have been leftover deer only tags or that everyone that applied drew the deer only tag although the odds have been much better for it since the price went up. Ill try to look up the odds for you. As for the rut it usually takes some cold weather to really kick it off so it kinda depends on the year as to when it will start but I think it would be starting or very close by 11/15. The last time I hunted there was around that time and the older mature buck I killed was rutting but the younger bucks I saw werent yet. From my experience there I think NDHunter is spot on about the weather.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I cant find anything on their site on the drawing odds for any of the general tags either. I sent them a couple emails

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They emailed me back and said drawing odds last year for the general deer tag and the landowner sponsored deer tag were both 100%. Im still trying to get them to show me where to find the stats on their site.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is the reason you cant find it in their site.....

FWP License info
    To Me
    Today at 2:50 PM
    I don’t believe that info is on the website.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    This is the reason you cant find it in their site.....

FWP License info
    To Me
    Today at 2:50 PM
    I don’t believe that info is on the website.

Haha! Thank you for emailing them, I guess I could have done that but Im used to most info being online.

We will likely be staying in a old ranch quaters. I usually like to hunt public land and tent it, but I was able to sway my grandfather in to going. So I got a hold of the ranch and secured us a spot.

I think we might go ahead and apply for the general deer tag, especially if it was 100% last year. That way we are not limited to one ranch, I would hate to see a bruiser on some public land and not be able to hunt him!

Thank you all!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was surprised how fast they responded and replied to additional questions I asked. I figured I must have been missing it on their site too. I asked them to break down the 2 draws for me and I was told "That information will not show up on our web site" and basically no info on the general draws is available on their web site. They did not answer as to why.