Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The second picture has so many places for a deer to hide it would take a day to glass them all from the cliff on the right/east side. The base of the cliff is a good spot to see bucks bedded also. Every little fold of that country could hold a buck, all they need is a little shadow and maybe an wind brake. They love to bed where they can see danger coming from the front and smell danger coming from behind, and a good exit in the event of danger. It can even be just a patch of grass that is taller/thicker than the surrounding grass. I would say water is important but big bucks don't mind walking a mile or more to drink.
    Are You going to be the only ones on the ranch? If you are not going to have the ranch to yourself I would get my antelope first then concentrate on getting my deer. What do all the dots and lines mean? Im not familiar with the program. Cheers

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The dots just represent the boundaries. the pic with the dotted line is where the private hits public. We wont be alone on the ranch but we plan on getting there a day early to scout and having 6 full days of hunting at least. We will get on the goats first and just see what happens with the deer. I doubt many people will also be packing a deer tag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Good advise Jrod! The importance of water will depend on how abundant water is in the area. If there are very few water sources sitting on a water hole could be a good tactic. If there is alot of water it may not work as well. I would concentrate on the deer first but if I found a nice antelope I sure wouldnt pass him up! But thats just me and each area is different but typically IMO it is easier to harvest an antelope then a deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If it isn't a very large ranch and there will be competition, you have to get those antelope down in a hurry. If you don't, you may not get a chance at the best antelope on the ranch the rest of the time you are there. That being said antelope travel, so you may have animals coming and going on the property with the pressure from the public outside the fence. I think it will be easier to find the good antelope on the ranch than the good mule deer.
    Listen to the ranch foreman, he spends everyday on the property, he knows exactly what the deer/antelope do day in and day out.
    Another thing to remember, if you are driving around the ranch glassing, do not get out of the truck! Those animals see trucks all the time and aren't necessarily frightened by them. As soon as you get out of the truck though the animals associate the human form with danger, even from way off.
    Last edited by Jrod; 02-08-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its roughly 10-12 sq miles split into 5 pieces amongst blm. we wont be alone on the property though