Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming area 45 Elk guide recomendations

Hello again,
    I posted a while back looking for WY area 45 guides. I have spoken to Paintrock and Bighorn outfitters and both seem like viable options. My original plan was a rifle hunt but I have been steered toward archery if trophy quality is important, which it is. Any opinions on these or other guides, good or bad will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 3 Posts
    have you elk hunted before? If so you can probably do it just as good yourself... Just my opinion

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Both of those are good outfits and I'd definitely go with the archery hunt if you can only do one hunt on your tag. They can get you up into the wilderness and put you on some big bulls as they do a lot of scouting and it's money well spent, especially since you can't do any scouting from NY.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I suggest 7-J Outfitters, I seen a couple really good bulls they pulled off it this year. I have never hunted 45, but it is on my radar. If I do draw it I will hunt with 7-J mainly because they can get me into the wilderness. The other unit I might draw does not have wilderness so I will likely DIY.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AT Hiker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would love a DIY elk hunt some day but this is my first go at it and as Topgun pointed out, it is tough to scout from NY. I hope to go unguided in the future though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
    I would love a DIY elk hunt some day but this is my first go at it and as Topgun pointed out, it is tough to scout from NY. I hope to go unguided in the future though.
    ***If you draw that tag for 45 and go with one of those reputable outfitters that have been mentioned, I can guarantee that you will have one fun hunt and will be itching to get back to the mountains ASAP. I'm lucky enough to be retired and go out there for a month or more every Fall to chase elk, deer, and antelope with friends that live out there. Last year we took 2 bulls and 2 cows along with a few antelope and deer even though the weather was the worst it's been during the Fall in many decades. There is just nothing that compares to a bull bugling and coming to a call while out in the mountains and you'll be hooked when you experience it for yourself!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted with Bighorn Outfitters ( A Double J Outfitters at the time) last year. The hunt was great, we saw lots of elk and I was into elk everyday. I went with my dad and bro and we all had the type 9 tag (archery). We went 2 for 3 and dad spent several days after a 350 bull but just couldn't get him to commit to archery range in the end. Rich and Dustin have a good area and will work their butts off to get you an elk. They can hunt from base camp or pack into a spike camp in wilderness, we did both and had a great time. You can PM me if you want further info.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post: