Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think point banking sucks. It allows guys to save up tons of PP and then every once in a while they can break from that strategy to hunt a unit that takes a few points and bone the guy that only wants to save 1-3 and hunt a good unit every once in a while. I agree with BKC, they are going to piss most people off sooner then later. Probably a 5 year warning when they come out with the next 5 year structure. Use your points in the next 5 years or loose them and go to a straight draw.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Are they really considering going to a strait up random draw? It would be better in alot of ways but when they told everyone to use or loose their points I think it would flood all the units that only take a few points with applicants.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is just no way to please everybody. I'm sure if a 100 guys gave their opinion on what should be done, you would get a wide variety of opinions. I think the system they've got is just fine. If you don't like the point systems, apply in ID and NM. If you don't want to mess with applying at all, just buy an OTC tag. Everybody wants to hunt the primo units but that just literally is not possible. If they converted every single unit to a trophy unit, it would still probably take 10 years to draw a tag. Some great animals come out of the 1-3 point units. Just get a tag and go hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Who knows what they will do. I am going to the public comment meeting Wednesday here in Denver. they are going on all over the state this month.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am all right with a PP system for non residents in states but residents should either be a hybrid or straight up draw. Kids just getting started in the sport shouldn't be looking at 25+ year waits for the better units. Hell at the rate things are going they could be looking at 35+ year waits and that is unacceptable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Could someone explain point banking and what CO did last time around? Packmule you were talking about some of your friends are back in the 20-22 pt range. When did this occur and is it likely to happen again? I'm only 1 point in for elk, deer, sheep, and mountain goat. Should I stay away from CO?

Point banking is getting to keep excess points that weren't necessary to draw a particular tag.

IIRC it was 2006. Who knows if they'll do it again. I could see those fellas dumping their points for 4th season in the Gunny Basin, but if another winter kill sets things back another decade those points will keep adding up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, I think it was 2006 packmule... Their is another option but likely not very popular. Hunt and don't collect points. Colorado is a "opportunity" state anyway. Just a small handful of units take tons of points. You can hunt Deer & Elk in Colorado every year or every other year without saving points. That doesn't sit well with trophy hunters I'm sure. I'm taking my own advice and will not be intentionally saving anymore than 3 points for any species in Colorado that can be drawn otherwise. I dumped my Deer points last year. Dumping Elk this year and hoping to dump my 8 Antelope points in the near future too. I'll collect points and put in for trophy areas in other states and hunt as much as possible in Colorado. I like meat too, so it works out good for me!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What do you guys think this new PP costing structure will do to draw odds this year? I am on the fence of putting in for one of 2 tags. First, one tag I should draw based on past stats as it took only 1 PP and I have 2. The second I have about a 75% chance at drawing with 2 PP's.

I'm thinking this new costing will have a lot of people applying and burning points this year and maybe over the next couple years that normally wouldn't have applied and would have kept saving. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Work2hunt; 02-11-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    What do you guys think this new PP costing structure will do to draw odds this year? I am on the fence of putting in for one of 2 tags. One based on past stats I should draw as it took only 1 PP and I have 2. The second I have about a 75% chance at drawing with 2 PP's.

I'm thinking this new costing will have a lot of people applying and burning points this year and maybe over the next couple years that normally wouldn't have applied and would have kept saving. Thoughts?
    I really can't see it having any effect on draw odds. 75% of the people out there won't even realize the cost of the point went up until they get their tag refund, and notice it's a little light... And then, about 75% of those guys still won't notice/care.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I really can't see it having any effect on draw odds. 75% of the people out there won't even realize the cost of the point went up until they get their tag refund, and notice it's a little light... And then, about 75% of those guys still won't notice/care.
    I agree. It probably won't change much. Most guy's who put in for other sates know there's fee's to pay and won't bat an eye at this minimal increase. Your already paying a lot of money to hunt out of state, what's another $40 or $50 bucks?