Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need Help, 21 points and gotta hunt this year

Hello everyone, I'm writing on behalf of my father. He currently has 21 points for Colorado and now also has cancer, and not a good kind. We really need to make something happen this year. He of course has been applying in years past for the NW corner of the state, I've been doing some homework on this and I think he's running out of time to ever get one of those tags. His health is good enough to where he would still be able to get around well enough, a grueling hunt probably would not be the best choice, Hoping for a good Muzzle Loader or Rifle Unit he would most likely draw and have a good opportunity at seeing a lot of animals and possibly harvesting a respectable bull. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Justin

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry to hear about your dad, that is a tough situation for you and your family Im sure. You should look at units 40, 61, or 76. 40 has the least amount of public of the 3. Go to the colorado parks & wildlife site and check past years statistics and draw summary pages and you can see what type of points it "may" take you this year to draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klawij05 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm writing on behalf of my father. He currently has 21 points for Colorado and now also has cancer, and not a good kind. We really need to make something happen this year. He of course has been applying in years past for the NW corner of the state, I've been doing some homework on this and I think he's running out of time to ever get one of those tags. His health is good enough to where he would still be able to get around well enough, a grueling hunt probably would not be the best choice, Hoping for a good Muzzle Loader or Rifle Unit he would most likely draw and have a good opportunity at seeing a lot of animals and possibly harvesting a respectable bull. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Justin
    Very sorry to hear about your dad. If you haven't already, I would contact the state to see if there are any programs to help people in your dad's situation. I have heard some stories in the past but I really don't know what specific programs are out there. I would think there would be a way for him to get his tag of preference in his situation- If not there should be! Good luck- wish I could help more.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is a section on the website that has more stats on tags, draw, points by species than I have seen before. Go to the section on commenting on the next 5 year planning. they are asking for public comments. But at the end of all the writing are a number of highlighted places to find this data. It has some really eye popping stuff there and might give you some insight on where to apply and be sure of drawing a great tag.

Look at the post entitled: Colorado' New Big Game Season Structure...Submit Your Ideas. The post by Granby Guy is very good, check out some of his numbers and conclusions.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 03-12-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take a look at this thread, hope it helps a little.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...zzleloader-Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here are your options that you can choose from and will more than likely draw.
    Any rifle hunt in unit 61
    Unit 851 first season
    Unit 76 first through 3rd season
    Unit 40 only if you are willing to spend 7-10k for access
    Possibly unit 61 muzzy depending on point creep. This applies to 2 and 10 as well. He might draw but it certainly is no guarantee. Given those options, unit 851 or unit 61 first season would be my choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Hi Justin,

I have 22 points as a non-resident and have done well over 100 hours research this winter alone on Colorado elk. I am writing you a very thorough PM (personal message) with my phone number and will give you the best recommendations I can, including guides if your dad choses to use one. Some of the opportunities are good DIY. Let's make sure your dad gets to elk hunt this year. I've got the PM about half way done, and should have it posted in an hour or so.

Jim

EDIT: I just sent the PM. I spilled all the beans.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-12-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Hi Justin,

I have 22 points as a non-resident and have done well over 100 hours research this winter alone on Colorado elk. I am writing you a very thorough PM (personal message) with my phone number and will give you the best recommendations I can, including guides if your dad choses to use one. Some of the opportunities are good DIY. Let's make sure your dad gets to elk hunt this year. I've got the PM about half way done, and should have it posted in an hour or so.

Jim

Thanks UH,

I wish had the information to help him. I'm sure glad there are people like you helping other hunters!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Justin

PM sent

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Just curious, did even reply? He is still at his 1 post count.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker