Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    What do you guys think this new PP costing structure will do to draw odds this year? I am on the fence of putting in for one of 2 tags. First, one tag I should draw based on past stats as it took only 1 PP and I have 2. The second I have about a 75% chance at drawing with 2 PP's.

I'm thinking this new costing will have a lot of people applying and burning points this year and maybe over the next couple years that normally wouldn't have applied and would have kept saving. Thoughts?
    It's only more expensive if you buy points for just one species right? If you do multiple species it should actually be cheaper I thought.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I dont think the PP fee is enough to change the odds either. I agree on your strategy CoHiCntry. I try not to get over 5 points anywhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 1 Post
    Yes, by the time you have put in for liscenses in multiple states, the extra money is minimal. I agree with CoHiCntry in his approach. It is hard to believe that people really will wait for 20+ years on a tag. I feel like my chances of killing a trophy are a lot better if I can hunt more often in less well known units than if I hunt once in a lifetime in a "trophy" unit. Of course, I love hunting, so I could never be that patient. I also have never hunted in one of those "trophy" units, so I may be wrong about how easy they are to take a trophy out of.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    It's only more expensive if you buy points for just one species right? If you do multiple species it should actually be cheaper I thought.
    If your getting points for more then 1 species its cheaper to buy an annual fishing license so you dont have to pay for the points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Engideer View Post
    Yes, by the time you have put in for liscenses in multiple states, the extra money is minimal. I agree with CoHiCntry in his approach. It is hard to believe that people really will wait for 20+ years on a tag. I feel like my chances of killing a trophy are a lot better if I can hunt more often in less well known units than if I hunt once in a lifetime in a "trophy" unit. Of course, I love hunting, so I could never be that patient. I also have never hunted in one of those "trophy" units, so I may be wrong about how easy they are to take a trophy out of.
    It prob only took 6-7 points to draw the tags when the guys with 15+ points now started applying. By the time they got 7 points it took 10, so they figure whats 3 more points, then they get to 10 and it takes 11, then there is a bad winter and tags are cut the next year and it jumps to 15 points, so they figure it will get better in a couple years and next thing they know they have 18 points and still havent drawn.

Or something like that. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    I don't ever want to see point banking return because it did nothing to alleviate point creep.

To combat point creep I would suggest offering about 3-4 tags in each OTC unit throughout the state that would be valid for the month of September for elk and November for deer. This wouldn't have a real impact on the population and I think it would have a huge impact on point creep because these would be high quality hunts.

With the new 5 year season structure coming up I heard from a pretty reliable source that the Dow is looking to perform a major overhaul the point system and they are going to propose a weighted system like they have for moose and sheep ( which I feel is worthless) or adopt a point system similar to what Nevada has, which I believe to be a pretty fair system. I would be surprised, based on what I was told, if the current system is continued.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Granby guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    I don't ever want to see point banking return because it did nothing to alleviate point creep.

To combat point creep I would suggest offering about 3-4 tags in each OTC unit throughout the state that would be valid for the month of September for elk and November for deer. This wouldn't have a real impact on the population and I think it would have a huge impact on point creep because these would be high quality hunts.

With the new 5 year season structure coming up I heard from a pretty reliable source that the Dow is looking to perform a major overhaul the point system and they are going to propose a weighted system like they have for moose and sheep ( which I feel is worthless) or adopt a point system similar to what Nevada has, which I believe to be a pretty fair system. I would be surprised, based on what I was told, if the current system is continued.
    If they make changes, I hope they don't screw current point holders. I have 13 points for Antelope that I want to use in 2015, not this year as I will be in Hawaii for the month of October this year.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 02-11-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Yeah, I think it was 2006 packmule... Their is another option but likely not very popular. Hunt and don't collect points. Colorado is a "opportunity" state anyway. Just a small handful of units take tons of points. You can hunt Deer & Elk in Colorado every year or every other year without saving points. That doesn't sit well with trophy hunters I'm sure. I'm taking my own advice and will not be intentionally saving anymore than 3 points for any species in Colorado that can be drawn otherwise. I dumped my Deer points last year. Dumping Elk this year and hoping to dump my 8 Antelope points in the near future too. I'll collect points and put in for trophy areas in other states and hunt as much as possible in Colorado. I like meat too, so it works out good for me!
    I'll continue to save my points. There's just not enough deer tags available for everyone to hunt decent units every year or every other year. The way things are set up now people can hunt decent units every year, but they'll need to fork over some voucher money. Which if you ask the locals of those top units, it's a program that needs to be done away with. So really, there's not a fix-all approach to handling it. They could split tags in the units into 2 categories of management and trophy class. Management tags would likely not require as many points and those who want to hunt the units more often can do so. The trophy tags would likely see a major increase in point requirement since there'll be fewer of them. Despite a longer wait, those folks may appreciate the effort to decrease high grading in the younger age classes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    If they make changes, I hope they don't screw current point holders. I have 13 points for Antelope that I want to use in 2014, not this year as I will be in Hawaii for the month of October this year.
    CC Don't hold your breath!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    What better point system than an actual true point system. It's not like people don't know where they stand with the amt of points they have going into a draw.