Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wool Clothing

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wool Clothing

I am looking to do a guided elk hunt this fall. Many outfitters recommend wool clothing and I don't have much experience with wool. Are they talking Filson, Cabelas, King of the Mountain, etc. Any ideas/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just recently made the switch over to wool. I am truly impressed by its performance. I use first lite and kuiu. you cant go wrong with either company.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Merino wool is the best for your under clothes. I like smartwool. It is expensive but is well worth it as it doesnt stink, does not itch and layers well. On top of a merino wool short sleeve shirt and light long sleeve shirt, I wear a mil surplus shirt (paid $8) which is more like a light jacket. I was fishing for steelhead this week In 20 degree blowing snow and never had to put on my heavy wool coat with the above set up. For a wool coat, mine is Cabelas. I have had it for three years now and it still looks/wears great. For pants, I pick up whatever I find. "Big Bill" pants are nice but the best pants I have are German surplus. I paid $3 for them three years ago. They have a tight weave and shed water excellent. Whatever you do, dont get wool that is lined with anything. Sometimes they line a jacket or pants with something, (cotton blend) it ruins the reason to wear wool in the first place.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    First Lite all the way. Base layers are the most important thing. I guide in the wilderness all summer and fall..I have to pack in what i need for each entire 10 day hunt. I live and die by merino wool layering system. I personally use First Lite. I dont have anything bad to say about other companies, thats just my preference as they make great products, especially with their continuing outer layer system now. Spend your money on base layer stuff first...You can get by with some sort of waterproof jacket/pants combo over that, but if you wear underlayers that do not wick away your sweat, you will become miserable if it gets cold after working up a sweat. Sometimes I wear just a basic Carhartt waterproof jacket over my base layers. You dont need Wool for everything, But its definitely worth the investment where it counts. If you can afford Sleeping Indian/King of the Mountain for outer layers, it is incredible wool clothing. . But if you want to get something Wool for the outer layers as well another good option besides the Army surplus type route which works great, is the Columbia wool which is very reasonably priced and holds up decently well especially for the price.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wool is one of the few things that will still keep you somewhat warm if it gets wet. I use under armor cold gear for base layers. I know its not wool but it works pretty well. Good rain gear is also very important so you dont get wet. The biggest thing to avoid is cotton base layers. Once you sweat a little it will stay wet and you will be freezing in no time. I have had to strip down in the snow a couple times to take a wet cotton t-shirt off back before I knew any better. When and where is your elk hunt? That will make a difference in what you need for clothing too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 for me on good quality Merino wool for base layers. I think it is awesome.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +2 on merino wool base layers.

I just ordered a wool shirt and pants from Cabelas but they were MUCH bigger and wider than the size would indicate and very heavy so I am returning them. I'll probably look at surplus. It would just be for stand hunting late in the year.

For most of the year, a merino wool base layer, a quarter zip merino wool second layer, light fleece midlayer, super light wind shirt, lightweight down jacket or vest and a jacket will handle almost any weather. I keep a lightweight rain set (Kryptek Poseidon) in my pack. A wool cap, wool scarf and a balaclava help a lot in cold weather, especially the scarf. Mike Eastman always carries a silk scarf with him.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I haven't tried the other brands mentioned, but I don't go without my Filson wool pants. Rain forests or cold weather, they are great...just hate the dry clean only part. Army surplus stuff is way too heavy, you may be able to find a pair of wool dress pants at the local Goodwill store. I am going to have to try the merino wool underwear
    Member NRA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you doing a november hunt I would strongly suggest the Columbia Gallatin Range Pant as the outter layer (plus your wools or polypropolene thermals). Cabelas also makes a full wool pant but some of the reviews say it can be noisy when very cold. As well as some solid pack boots and a pair of lighter boots. It could be 60 degrees or -15 degrees at that time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everyone for the help/advice. Ive read good stuff about merino wool just dont have any experience with it. Also I hadnt thought about the military surplus. That is certainly easier on the bank account. Musket Man I am looking at hunting in Montana during the general season (the first half of November) on either public land or private land the outfitter has access to. Once again thanks everyone for the advice.