Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cameras

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CC - Thousands of slides to convert sounds like too big a project to scan them yourself. This review of different slide conversion services might help http://www.techhive.com/article/2000...ur-photos.html

You might try sending a few to more than one service before you decide. Be aware that ScanCafe sends your slides to India to be converted which is why they are cheaper than some other options.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Inspired! Great set of pictures. Makes me want to grab my wife's camera and start shooting. Most of the pictures I've taken have been with my phone (not very good ).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So far I have really been likening my Olympus TG2. My biggest problem is that I have always been used to babying my camera so now I forget to take this one out and use it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Big Sky,

I had an Olympus film camera that I later gifted to a friend. I'm using Canon now, but I really liked the Olympus too. Very high quality images and solid built.

Put it to use and let us see some of the big sky mule deer and elk from your area!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    Big Sky,

Put it to use and let us see some of the big sky mule deer and elk from your area!
    Haven't you heard the wolves ate them all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I carry a canon elph and love it but its always alittle disappointing watching the sun rise glint off a giant bull elk a half mile away and not being able to capture it with a point and shoot. I'm considering getting a canon rebel but having a hard time sorting thru the various lens configurations since its not as easy as 10x, 16x etc... From my research I think a decent 300mm lens on the rebel t4i would capture distant wildlife pretty well (I.e. elk on distant mountainside easily viewed with 10x42 binos.) Can anyone more familiar with this sort of setup offer some advice/opinions?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    I carry a canon elph and love it but its always alittle disappointing watching the sun rise glint off a giant bull elk a half mile away and not being able to capture it with a point and shoot. I'm considering getting a canon rebel but having a hard time sorting thru the various lens configurations since its not as easy as 10x, 16x etc... From my research I think a decent 300mm lens on the rebel t4i would capture distant wildlife pretty well (I.e. elk on distant mountainside easily viewed with 10x42 binos.) Can anyone more familiar with this sort of setup offer some advice/opinions?
    A rule of thumb: every 50mm of "full-frame (35mm sensor) equivalent focal length" is equal to 1x of magnification. Since the Rebel t4i is a "crop sensor" camera you multiply the lens focal length by 1.6. So, your 300mm lens is a 480mm lens in full frame equivalency.

Then you take this number 480 and divide by 50 to get your magnification. So 480/50 is 9.6x.

Super-zoom bridge cameras give a lot more magnification with still very good image quality. However, a "60x zoom" camera does NOT PROVIDE 60x magnification. Instead the 60x refers to how much longer the focal length is at max zoom than min zoom. So a 60x camera might have a full frame equivalency focal length range of 20-1200mm, where 1200 is 60 times 20, but in magnification terms that 1200mm long end is really 1200/50 = 24x magnfication.

If you really want to get close, you need a quality spotting scope and digiscoping setup, which can provide super long effective focal lengths in the 3500mm+ range.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the explanation. That's probably the easiest to follow explanation I've read actually. I've thought about digiscoping but haven't gotten to far into researching it. I ran into this forum while researching reviews on the new 50mm vortex razor spotter and outdoorsmans tripods which I am going to buy shortly. I might just try that first

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I am glad I could help.

I will send you a PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Getting ready to buy a new digital, probably a Panasonic Lumix DCM-TS4. Its waterproof and I can take it snorkeling too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley